Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

What is Macy trying to prove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Macy trying to prove

Just read Macy’s remarks about feeling “unwelcome” at UK. He obviously has philosophical differences and isn’t close to Cal. That’s fine, it’s a free
    country but why air this in the press. For a UK legend it is mystifying to me what he is trying to accomplish here

Being a Kentucky playing legend doesn't automatically mean you should feel entitled to always having an open door policy into practices and the inner workings of the current staff. That's just me, though.

Comment

Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post
      Being a Kentucky playing legend doesn't automatically mean you should feel entitled to always having an open door policy into practices and the inner workings of the current staff. That's just me, though.
      I agree, but traditionally under Cal, there has been an open door policy into practices and the program in general - I believe that's the selling point behind #LaFamilia.

I'm just spitballing here but I'm guessing at some point, Macy said or did something that irked Cal and it's as simple as that.

It should also be noted that Macy himself downplayed the controversy.

When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

I agree, but traditionally under Cal, there has been an open door policy into practices and the program in general - I believe that's the selling point behind #LaFamilia.

I'm just spitballing here but I'm guessing at some point, Macy said or did something that irked Cal and it's as simple as that.

It should also be noted that Macy himself downplayed the controversy.
        This is news to me, but if he was going to downplay his remarks, then why make them in the first place?

John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

This is news to me, but if he was going to downplay his remarks, then why make them in the first place?
          Because he was asked?
          When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

FWIW, this seems to be the meat of the controversy, which I understand why Cal may not be the biggest fan of Macy:

“I don’t know all the details, but I know Calipari wasn’t too happy about having to go up there after they lost up there the year they probably could have gone undefeated. It’s probably a little bit of both sides,” he said. “You’ve got to give and take a little bit. I know at one point IU didn’t want to play in Louisville because they felt that was like a home game for Kentucky, and Kentucky didn’t want to go into Bloomington. Nowadays, everyone wants to play these neutral court games, which is ridiculous. If you’re a season ticket holder, give them value to the home schedule, play a home-and-home. You may take a loss, but it’s going to make you a better team and get you ready for the tournament. I’m a little old school that way, I guess.”

The biggest gripe he has, however, is Calipari’s mindset when it comes to putting guys in the NBA and that draft day is the “greatest day in Kentucky basketball history.”

“If you’re going to a university, ideally, it’s for an education,” he said. “And I guarantee you there’s not a professor on any college campus that’s making anywhere near what the college basketball coach is making. And the mindset here in Kentucky, John Calipari will tell you that the greatest day in Kentucky basketball history for him is on draft day when all of his players are making millions of dollars and changing the lives of their families. To me, the greatest day of the year in your school’s history is winning a national championship for your athletic program.”
            These same comments have been made by most of us on this board a bunch.

Comment

Because he was asked?
              I'm sure he was, but it seems to me that Macy's answer was contrary to how he really felt because he later downplayed it. No biggie here, it just seems strange to me.

Comment

FWIW, this seems to be the meat of the controversy, which I understand why Cal may not be the biggest fan of Macy:

These same comments have been made by most of us on this board a bunch.
                We sure have and this years non-conference schedule is already being talked about this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

I'm sure he was, but it seems to me that Macy's answer was contrary to how he really felt because he later downplayed it. No biggie here, it just seems strange to me.
                  I don't think he was denying he felt that way, just stating it wasn't meant to be a big deal. It sounded like he realized he stepped in it and was trying to clean it off his shoe.

Comment

I don't think he was denying he felt that way, just stating it wasn't meant to be a big deal. It sounded like he realized he stepped in it and was trying to clean it off his shoe.
                    I can agree with that.

Comment

I don't have a problem with Macy's remarks then or now.
                      I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

" To me, the greatest day of the year in your school’s history is winning a national championship for your athletic program.”

I'd be MUCH more satisfied winning National Championships, which we haven't done in a while, than I am sending guys to the NBA.

Comment

Agree. One begets the other, but I first cheer for team success, not individual success.

Comment

If Macy's comments are indicative that he thinks team National Titles are more important to fans than NBA contracts, I can't disagree with him.

In a perfect scenario, both Contracts and Titles would follow each other.

Not a perfect world.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
                              " To me, the greatest day of the year in your school’s history is winning a national championship for your athletic program.”

I'd be MUCH more satisfied winning National Championships, which we haven't done in a while, than I am sending guys to the NBA.
                              I think Cal would argue that you need to do the second or you can't do the first.

I agree with the gist of Macy's comments, but it is important to point out that Kyle Macy hasn't coached in 13 years, and when he did coach he was mediocre at best. The game has changed and what you need to do to have success in the game has radically changed.

That said, Cal is not a nuance guy. He goes to the wall with his philosophy. When he believes in something--that college basketball is an avenue for the players to make money--he goes to the absolute wall with it.

It can be grating but we all knew it about him when he first came to UK. Not a whole lot has changed.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

What is Macy trying to prove

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X