Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

What is Macy trying to prove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwight Schrute
    replied
    Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I just don't think the after-UK stuff was anything Tubby was ever invested in.

Tubby just wanted to coach. All the other stuff to him was probably a waste of time. He was your prototypical coach's coach, and it's hard to have huge success like that on the college level now, what with the posses players have and social media and branding the school and shoe companies, etc.

Cal coaches for all that other stuff. He has to love basketball or he wouldn't be doing it, but at times you get the feeling that he would get just as much out of being a kind of glorified agent for the players or something like that.
    Yeah, I remember there was a time when Tubby took off to the UK for like a month to play golf and watch the British Open and he took a ton of crap from the fans. You could see the downturn in recruiting after the Joe Crawford year when he left and returned in the middle of the season. He just seemed tired of it.

But like you said, college basketball doesn't work like that anymore.

Leave a comment:

• J.Jennings
    replied
    It's pretty clear Macy is still holding a grudge UK never offered him the job. He was coaching and prepping himself to become the coach at Kentucky and they shut the door in his face, he ain't never let that go.....

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied
    Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

Bobby Perry sounded off about Tubby after he graduated and after Tubby left. He basically said once he graduated, he never heard from Tubby again.

It's strange how Tubby gets a reputation for being a really wonderful guy (and his work in the community kind of backs that up) but you never heard those stories from his players. Even to this day, it seems like most of the players from his era have a so-so relationship with Kentucky.
    I just don't think the after-UK stuff was anything Tubby was ever invested in.

Tubby just wanted to coach. All the other stuff to him was probably a waste of time. He was your prototypical coach's coach, and it's hard to have huge success like that on the college level now, what with the posses players have and social media and branding the school and shoe companies, etc.

Cal coaches for all that other stuff. He has to love basketball or he wouldn't be doing it, but at times you get the feeling that he would get just as much out of being a kind of glorified agent for the players or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight Schrute
    replied
    Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
    He would never admit it but the Wisconsin game obviously haunts him. It haunts all of us.

Obviously like many of us I take what Cal says with a grain of salt. One thing though that I think is a bit underrated about him that people don't often talk about is the love he has for his players.

That manifests itself in what they do after Kentucky, sure, but it also has a major bearing on how they play when they're at Kentucky.

Ever seen a group of players play for a coach they hate? It's never pretty. Cal's genius and his legacy will probably be in how he stood up for his players and how he built a culture at UK that was very much about showing these kids love. Gillispie obviously was so far away from that it isn't funny, but Tubby Smith was also not a guy who seemed to have a deep relationship with his guys. I've always believed one of the similarities between Cal and Pitino is how their players will tell you how much they love them.

That matters in a game where a significant portion of the participants were not shown a lot of fatherly love growing up.
    Bobby Perry sounded off about Tubby after he graduated and after Tubby left. He basically said once he graduated, he never heard from Tubby again.

It's strange how Tubby gets a reputation for being a really wonderful guy (and his work in the community kind of backs that up) but you never heard those stories from his players. Even to this day, it seems like most of the players from his era have a so-so relationship with Kentucky.

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied
    He would never admit it but the Wisconsin game obviously haunts him. It haunts all of us.

Obviously like many of us I take what Cal says with a grain of salt. One thing though that I think is a bit underrated about him that people don't often talk about is the love he has for his players.

That manifests itself in what they do after Kentucky, sure, but it also has a major bearing on how they play when they're at Kentucky.

Ever seen a group of players play for a coach they hate? It's never pretty. Cal's genius and his legacy will probably be in how he stood up for his players and how he built a culture at UK that was very much about showing these kids love. Gillispie obviously was so far away from that it isn't funny, but Tubby Smith was also not a guy who seemed to have a deep relationship with his guys. I've always believed one of the similarities between Cal and Pitino is how their players will tell you how much they love them.

That matters in a game where a significant portion of the participants were not shown a lot of fatherly love growing up.

Leave a comment:

• 40bill
    replied
    Lol....he was a lot more loveable when we were rolling in final four and title game appearances. But you're right....he's been consistent.
    he obviously sees a kids individual success as a greater goal than a national title. I understand.

but to be honest, I think he has nightmares of Wisconsin and missed free throws against UConn and a last second no timeout shot by Luke Maye.
    Throw in the Memphis meltdown against Kansas, and John Calipari is maybe a half dozen.free throws from having five national titles.
    I would imagine that buzzes in his heart now and again.

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Dave View Post
    " To me, the greatest day of the year in your school’s history is winning a national championship for your athletic program.”

I'd be MUCH more satisfied winning National Championships, which we haven't done in a while, than I am sending guys to the NBA.
    I think Cal would argue that you need to do the second or you can't do the first.

I agree with the gist of Macy's comments, but it is important to point out that Kyle Macy hasn't coached in 13 years, and when he did coach he was mediocre at best. The game has changed and what you need to do to have success in the game has radically changed.

That said, Cal is not a nuance guy. He goes to the wall with his philosophy. When he believes in something--that college basketball is an avenue for the players to make money--he goes to the absolute wall with it.

It can be grating but we all knew it about him when he first came to UK. Not a whole lot has changed.

Leave a comment:

• 40bill
    replied
    If Macy's comments are indicative that he thinks team National Titles are more important to fans than NBA contracts, I can't disagree with him.

In a perfect scenario, both Contracts and Titles would follow each other.

Not a perfect world.

Leave a comment:

• SCBlu
    replied
    Agree. One begets the other, but I first cheer for team success, not individual success.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Dave
    replied
    " To me, the greatest day of the year in your school’s history is winning a national championship for your athletic program.”

I'd be MUCH more satisfied winning National Championships, which we haven't done in a while, than I am sending guys to the NBA.

Leave a comment:

• surveyor
    replied
    I don't have a problem with Macy's remarks then or now.

Leave a comment:

• Lighthouse
    replied

I don't think he was denying he felt that way, just stating it wasn't meant to be a big deal. It sounded like he realized he stepped in it and was trying to clean it off his shoe.
    I can agree with that.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight Schrute
    replied
    Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

I'm sure he was, but it seems to me that Macy's answer was contrary to how he really felt because he later downplayed it. No biggie here, it just seems strange to me.
    I don't think he was denying he felt that way, just stating it wasn't meant to be a big deal. It sounded like he realized he stepped in it and was trying to clean it off his shoe.

Leave a comment:

• Lighthouse
    replied
    FWIW, this seems to be the meat of the controversy, which I understand why Cal may not be the biggest fan of Macy:

These same comments have been made by most of us on this board a bunch.
    We sure have and this years non-conference schedule is already being talked about this way.

Leave a comment:

• Lighthouse
    replied

Because he was asked?
    I'm sure he was, but it seems to me that Macy's answer was contrary to how he really felt because he later downplayed it. No biggie here, it just seems strange to me.

Leave a comment:

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

What is Macy trying to prove

Collapse
Working...
X