Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

UK Pro Day

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UK Pro Day

    UK's annual pro day was last night. Couple things jumped out to me: Nate Sestina's versatility and the freakiness of Tyrese Maxey.

    Sestina was really a revelation to watch. Of course you have no idea if that's going to be the player we see once the season starts, but he was way more bouncy than Reid Travis, and he was obviously more versatile. Think he hit something like 21 out of 25 threes in a drill at one point.

    There was also a bit of a controversy about the players' lengths, as UK reported some crazy numbers. Just a few minutes ago Jonathan Givony pointed out how those numbers seemed to be inaccurate because they didn't match previous measurements.

    https://www.kentucky.com/sports/coll...235792227.html

  • #2
    Daughter and I went to Cals father-daughter camp in the summer. Her group had Hagans, Juzang, Brooks and Sestina as their player/coaches. I was blown away then by Sestina. He just didn't miss. Way more athletic than I expected. And a great guy also. Quite comical watching him play against my 9 year old that stands 54"

    Comment


    • #3
      Are you guys sure you are okay with Sestina being on the team, i mean he's like a 1 star and casper like, so i don't know if he really fits the bill and he's not a one and done next multi millionaire in the NBA...The only thing i can figure is that Cal finally has taken notice of those 1 star shooters who can flat out shoot the ball and decided we better get us one on our team...
      Last edited by J.Jennings; 10-07-2019, 03:24 PM.
      I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

      Comment


      • #4
        No great expectations. Let's just play a few games, see if he's "got game" and hope we have a big who can draw some defenders out from the basket.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post
          Are you guys sure you are okay with Sestina being on the team, i mean he's like a 1 star and casper like, so i don't know if he really fits the bill and he's not a one and done next multi millionaire in the NBA...The only thing i can figure is that Cal finally has taken notice of those 1 star shooters who can flat out shoot the ball and decided we better get us one on our team...
          Some guys are just college guys. I could care less what they do when they leave here. Just give it your all while you are here.
          Isaiah 5:20

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post
            i mean he's like a 1 star and casper like.
            JWORLD I think highly of ya, but c'mon, man. I hope he comes out and tears rip on the court this year, just the same as I hope from everybody else.

            Comment


            • #7
              As much as Sestina's skillset I think what Cal likes about these guys is that they give us some much-needed experience. Always good to have a 23-year-old on a team that's going to be driven by 18-year-olds.

              The thing about Sestina is that at Bucknell he really wasn't a great shooter. Good but not great. Shot 38% his last year there, made 41 on the season. That's about where Wenyen Gabriel was his last year at UK.

              Needs to probably be better than that percentage-wise this year unless our interior game is a lot tougher than I think it's going to be.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post

                Some guys are just college guys. I could care less what they do when they leave here. Just give it your all while you are here.
                Then you totally misread my post and missed the sarcasm, i could give two flying you know what about how much money these guys make down the road, i am all about Kentucky winning first and foremost. Point i am trying to make which i have been trying to get across for years is we don't absolutely have to have the top 5 of the class each and every year, we need the Miller's, the Willis, the Harrellson's, the Sherpards, the D. Hawkins type of guys....
                I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by matt colvin View Post

                  JWORLD I think highly of ya, but c'mon, man. I hope he comes out and tears rip on the court this year, just the same as I hope from everybody else.
                  Trust me when i tell you, seeing Sestina flourish and excel gives me the goose bumps, i am tired of putting all my stock into so called highly rated one and done's who look good smell good but taste like crap and fold out each and every March to some other team who has 1 star shooters shooting lights out and killing us in the tournament. When we do get those guys ( Wiltjer Willis Harrellson Hawkins Mliller type ) everybody jumps on the he's not UK material he can't do this he can't do that instead of supporting a kid and standing behind him. Count me in as someone who's exicted for Sestina and i hope he makes alot of UK fans eat a whole lot of crow this season......
                  I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    With all things being said, if Nick Richards is ready to become the man this year, we good folks!!!!!!!
                    I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Generally how much money they make will tell you how good they were in college. There's a direct relationship between professional worth and how much these guys help their college teams while they're there.

                      But that isn't always the case, obviously. Some guys are just really good college players and for whatever reason have little professional marketability. Doron Lamb immediately comes to mind.

                      If Sestina is as bouncy as he looked and his length is what UK measured it at (that's doubtful), then he'll be a pro. These stretch 4's can play in the league, but they have to be able to guard and they have to be really, really good shooters.

                      A couple of the guys JWORLD mentioned have made a bunch of money. Darius Miller and Josh Harrellson are probably rich. Derek Willis has gotten a shot. So just because they're 2-star players or whatever doesn't really mean much, especially if they come through Kentucky. We tend to be a major gatekeeping program and the NBA has shown that they pay attention to the way Calipari scouts talent.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Anyone excited about KlayThompson this year, i mean money man cha ching Juzang
                        I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                          Generally how much money they make will tell you how good they were in college. There's a direct relationship between professional worth and how much these guys help their college teams while they're there.

                          But that isn't always the case, obviously. Some guys are just really good college players and for whatever reason have little professional marketability. Doron Lamb immediately comes to mind.

                          If Sestina is as bouncy as he looked and his length is what UK measured it at (that's doubtful), then he'll be a pro. These stretch 4's can play in the league, but they have to be able to guard and they have to be really, really good shooters.

                          A couple of the guys JWORLD mentioned have made a bunch of money. Darius Miller and Josh Harrellson are probably rich. Derek Willis has gotten a shot. So just because they're 2-star players or whatever doesn't really mean much, especially if they come through Kentucky. We tend to be a major gatekeeping program and the NBA has shown that they pay attention to the way Calipari scouts talent.
                          Stretch 4's have changed the game, especially at the next level.

                          Anyways, im just breaking basketballs this morning, i like what i see so far...
                          I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            In all reality, could this be the year? I normally don't say these things but looking at the landscape of college basketball and what we have and what others do not have, i think this is our year folks, i believe that. You get Nick Richards doing what we need him to do and people hitting shots, look pretty good on paper if you ask me...
                            I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I was pleased with how well the players seemed to get along. They looked like a bunch of good friends having a great time.

                              Comment

                               

                              A Word From Our Founder

                              With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

                              UK Pro Day

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X