Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: Michigan St. Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

That may be enough.
    We survived with Andre Riddick, we can survive with Nick Richards!!
    I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post

We survived with Andre Riddick, we can survive with Nick Richards!!
      The big difference is in how Riddick tracked and blocked shots.

He had almost 90 in his best year, which was his junior season. For the sake of comparison Richards had 47 blocks last year. (Richards played almost 200 fewer minutes, though.)

Riddick had that one thing he did at a nearly elite level. Richards doesn't have that thing (yet) that he can hang his hat on.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

The big difference is in how Riddick tracked and blocked shots.

He had almost 90 in his best year, which was his junior season. For the sake of comparison Richards had 47 blocks last year. (Richards played almost 200 fewer minutes, though.)

Riddick had that one thing he did at a nearly elite level. Richards doesn't have that thing (yet) that he can hang his hat on.
        So let's ask ourselves this, what do we really need Richards to do? Do we need 20/10 a game or do we need him to be that guy that alters shots and grab rebounds? Does Nick get judged by the scoring column or the rebounds, the blocks, the shot alters, how do we gauge him in all fairness?
        I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

So let's ask ourselves this, what do we really need Richards to do? Do we need 20/10 a game or do we need him to be that guy that alters shots and grab rebounds? Does Nick get judged by the scoring column or the rebounds, the blocks, the shot alters, how do we gauge him in all fairness?
          Stats don't tell the whole story because with big guys they can go out and play well but not put up tremendous numbers. Sometimes just being a space-taker means a lot as a big man.

The problem Richards has always had is that he's behind the game. His instincts are not good. His bad plays are really bad. Saw a couple of those plays Tuesday, including the play that put him on the bench, which was the foul on Winston that came at a crucial time.

But he can't go out there and give nothing statistically, obviously. And because we don't have much behind him he has to give us some numbers.

I think Randolph Morris in 2004-2005 might be a model. About 9 points, 5 rebounds, a block. Richards has an advantage over Morris because he's bigger and more versatile defensively, but Morris was a better scorer. Morris also had Chuck Hayes down there in the post to take some heat off him. Richards might have Montgomery and Sestina, who's more of a stretch, and Brooks, also a stretch. So there will be more weight on Richards than there was Morris for sure.

Comment

With Morris teams knew that he could play and he had offensive ability from day one. He wasn’t quite in shape and made freshman fouls, but in this Calipari era it’s easy to forget that Morris was highly regarded and a top shelf recruit.

Richards needs to get garbage baskets, put backs , and to be available for the lob. Offensively that would be golden. Otherwise play the rest of the game, defensively and with space effect, and he would be awesome for this team.

Wiseman would have been great but honestly Richards ought to be able to give you some of the same things. I just don’t think he’s ready though.

Comment

Great write up Will... I tend to lern to JLoad about Richards. I personally don't think he's any better now than when he stepped on the court as a freshman. He was serviceable because he has to be as there is no one else. And, if he plays a lot which he did, he's going to foul out in just about every game. As Will mentioned - his basketball skill and awareness is pitiful. He has such size and length but is always behind, always losing track of a player or where the ball is and hell, I'm convinced that I could score on him as I am a head fake, fake pump master and he will jump at everything. And, he has no clue how to read a ball and when to jump for a rebound. Dude should average 8-10 boards a game period.

But, he's going to play due to necessity and we will get what we get. It's maddening because sometimes, he will get the ball, spin, and sink that hook shot and it looks so good.

As for Sestina - maybe I'm being hard on him but I wasn't as 'in love' with him as others... I thought at the first of the game - you saw why he was at somewhere like Bucknell. The speed of the game is way beyond him. He's slow, not really that big, and was just there. I thought as the game went on, he settled in pretty well and is by far the best front-court player on the team. He did mix it up in the paint but a bigger guy is going to give him fits. I think overall - he's going to adapt pretty well and be a good, necessary addition. I think offensive, Will nailed it, he's not going to drive the ball on anyone. And I thought with the whole pick and slip that he likes to do, the guards were passing the ball too quickly too him and he hadn't created any separation yet. Cal's going to have to get the guards to drive, and get the D to collapse, and then kick because his shot and range is very good.

Defensively - I said it earlier in a post. This is their strength. I hope Cal sees this and goes to the press a lot more. With this teams length and speed, they could create a lot of havoc and let's face it, Hagans and most of these guys play so much better in transition than running around Cal's half court screen plays.

Comment

This team will be scary good at times, but will have to take some lumps to make it consistent. When the do, look out.
                John 3:3

Comment

I think everyone will find out real quick “what we need “out of Richards the first time we play Florida and Blackshear eats his lunch, or any team with a good post presence for that matter

Comment

Originally posted by Jload View Post
                    I think everyone will find out real quick “what we need “out of Richards the first time we play Florida and Blackshear eats his lunch, or any team with a good post presence for that matter
                    Maybe.

But we were told before the Michigan St. game that it was going to happen. Didn't.

I think he can be okay. I'm not willing to write him off just yet. It's November 7th. I worry about some things he does but I also think one of his issues is confidence. When that's the case sometimes all it takes a couple of big games to flip a switch.

Kentucky fans are horrible about giving up and making grand proclamations. Not going to fall into that this year, especially with the luxury of having the #1 team in the country on Monday. It's normal to have reservations and concerns, but I'm looking forward to seeing how all of them improve and grow.

Good thing about Nick is that he's easy to root for.

Comment

Originally posted by Jload View Post
                      Fair enough but here's the real deal, Calipari has recruited many big men the past 3 years and none of them and i mean literally no one wanted to play for Kentucky, appreciate and support what we have because if Nick would have chose to leave or transfer, we would have been up crap( would rather say the other word but don't want to get policed early on this year) creek without a paddle... In fall fairness many of our hero's of the past (some before Cal other during) actually didn't break out until Junior and Senior campaigns. This doesn't mean Nick is going to save the world and score 30 and 15 a night but the dude had practiced one time in over 10 days and we actually was pretty lucky he was available at all for Michigan State. If Nick will ever gain some confidence and stop being so hard on himself, he can be a beast on the college level, everyone says he is the hardest worker in practice, at least he's trying and not giving up....

Comment

Fair enough but here's the real deal, Calipari has recruited many big men the past 3 years and none of them and i mean literally no one wanted to play for Kentucky, appreciate and support what we have because if Nick would have chose to leave or transfer, we would have been up crap( would rather say the other word but don't want to get policed early on this year) creek without a paddle... In fall fairness many of our hero's of the past (some before Cal other during) actually didn't break out until Junior and Senior campaigns. This doesn't mean Nick is going to save the world and score 30 and 15 a night but the dude had practiced one time in over 10 days and we actually was pretty lucky he was available at all for Michigan State. If Nick will ever gain some confidence and stop being so hard on himself, he can be a beast on the college level, everyone says he is the hardest worker in practice, at least he's trying and not giving up....
                        Good post.

I would've loved to have had Blackshear because Richards might have been able to play behind him--or even alongside him. Richards seems better suited to be a small-dose kind of player rather than somebody who has to play 30+ minutes, but then again you don't know if his confidence would respond to that role.

That said, a great storyline would be if Richards somehow worked himself to the point where he had a great run late in the season and/or outplayed Blackshear.

I think you make a good point. These kinds of unsung players have been good for Kentucky in the past, and it's tremendous when they break out.

But of course a lot of times they never break out. They remain who they are. This is the fear with Richards. But we've got a long season ahead and we need the big guy.

Comment

Nick is an easy player to root for, and I hope he continues to improve as the year goes on.

I would like to see our point guards stop driving to the basket and then throwing the ball to Nick's feet, though. Ashton and Immanuel did that at least three times in the Michigan State game, and I almost threw my remote at the television each time.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Good post.

I would've loved to have had Blackshear because Richards might have been able to play behind him--or even alongside him. Richards seems better suited to be a small-dose kind of player rather than somebody who has to play 30+ minutes, but then again you don't know if his confidence would respond to that role.

That said, a great storyline would be if Richards somehow worked himself to the point where he had a great run late in the season and/or outplayed Blackshear.

I think you make a good point. These kinds of unsung players have been good for Kentucky in the past, and it's tremendous when they break out.

But of course a lot of times they never break out. They remain who they are. This is the fear with Richards. But we've got a long season ahead and we need the big guy.
                            In all reality, i am more concerned about EJ than i am Richards, EJ has to figure this out sooner than later..

Comment

I and i could care less about Blackshear, he doesn't play for UK, never has. Either he was selfish and wanted to be the man or Cal told him nothing was given and that he would have to compete and battle Nick for PT, either way not the kind of player i want , good luck to him at Florida showcasing he can score 20/10 a game to impress the NBA. One of the reasons Kentucky has been so successful putting guys into the league is because scouts want to see how players react and learn with competition on a team, same as with any NBA squad with 15 guys who are all really good....

Comment

Calipari currently raving about the team's performance right now in his pregame press conference for tomorrow.

Calls out Nick Richards by name and gushes about his game. Talks about how good the team's defense was and says he doesn't know if he's had more than two UK teams that were better at this stage.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: Michigan St. Edition

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X