Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

James Wiseman Ruled Ineligible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Penny says Wiseman will continue to play no matter what the NCAA says.

Wow, he’s going all in on this and basically saying a big you to the NCAA.
    Last edited by Lighthouse; 11-09-2019, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Amazing how North Carolina didn’t fold in the face of pretty damning allegations and now basically everyone is giving them the dinner and daring them to do something about it.

I’ll just say that taking this out on James Wiseman is wrong.
      When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

Originally posted by JFCats22 View Post
        Penny says Wiseman will continue to play no matter what the NCAA says.

Wow, he’s going all in on this and basically saying a big f you to the NCAA.
        Good for Penny.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Good for Penny.
          Why?

Penny broke the rules, and as worthless as the NCAA is, if there is no regard for governing rules, there is chaos.

Penny can go ahead and play him, but then the NCAA can make an example of their program and hell be out of a job.

Comment

The NCAA has been a top heavy, over legalized organization for years, with more lawyers than school administrators. Trouble is, most courts have said REPEATEDLY the NCAA is an organization that schools agree to be members of and can make just about what rules they wish.
            Not long ago there was some rumblings that the top four or five P5 conferences were considering taking football and making a separate conference, a SUPER 1A+ or whatever you would like to call it. It would take very little time for the TV folks or bowl alliance people to wiggle out of their contracts and sign up....which would be the avalanche rolling.
            The latest where the NCAA pretty much agreed they were full of hot air about amateurism in basketball sucked just about the last vestige of authority from them. Ohio State players that were penalized for selling jerseys, kids that were suspended for being on calendars, guys that had to sit because they got travel or meal money to rep the schools at events.....line up boys. all good now.

Comment

Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post

Why?

Penny broke the rules, and as worthless as the NCAA is, if there is no regard for governing rules, there is chaos.

Penny can go ahead and play him, but then the NCAA can make an example of their program and hell be out of a job.
              Agree. Why have rules if you don't have to follow them? So basically now Penny says players can openly go to the highest bidder.

Comment

Why?

I wouldn't call less than $12,000 chaos.

And of course Penny Hardaway was a booster at Memphis. Likely has been for two decades.

Of course Wiseman's family needed help moving. My family would have too.

I just don't see a problem there. It's not like Hardaway was setting the family up Renardo Sidney style. Seems like a pretty low-level deal to me from somebody who had been connected to the Wiseman family for years.

Are we to believe that James Wiseman of all people is an amateur anyway? The payoffs he's gotten over the years likely equal into the hundreds of thousands from shoe companies, high school coaches, college coaches...He was probably an industry unto himself at 13 years old. Who cares?

Comment

Why?

I gaurantee this goes back to the NCAA's refusal to punish UNC. Notre Dame mentioned it in a response to the NCAA when they were looking their way--now Memphis (or at least their coach) is telling them to stick it.

The NCAA claims that the NCAA is simply the member institutions but that is total crap. They are a greedy governing body who blatantly doles out punishment with egregious favoritism.

How would it be possible that the non-favorite sons would sit and accept this forever?

I said when they finally let UNC off Scott-free the NCAA had sealed their own coffin. I didn't mean it would be immediate with no other organization in place to replace it. But hundreds of schools are not going to just accept different rules for everyone other than the favorite few forever.

Sure Memphis cheated by NCAA rules but why would anyone respect rules that don't apply to all members equally?

Furthermore Memphis is no contender without Wiseman. Obviously the committee will not be putting them in the dance if they continue playing him. Might as well play him now, have the best season you can and then deal with punishment going forward. Just tell the NCAA the athletic department cleared it with the chancellor so it's beyond the jurisdiction of the NCAA.
                  Last edited by Catsrock; 11-09-2019, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lilproUK98 View Post

Penny gave $11,500 for moving expenses before Wiseman's So. And Jr. Years. Penny was classified a Memphis booster before he became coach.... hence the ineligibility. I doubt the NCAA rules him eligible.
                    If that's the case, I believe you are correct. I seemed to remember that there was some upper limit in the amount of money that could be returned to regain eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post
                      Yes, he has helped the NCAA advertise the season, they did have a televised game which they won, they sold season tickets based on James being on the team and eligible, they have made a splash in college basketball and have a sizable preseason ranking.

It hasn't been Zion-esque but he absolutely has made a difference already. That difference has helped produce profits.
                      OK see that the NCAA benefited by the pre-season advising but doesn't seem like much of a benefit. OK even if the game was televised, how does the NCAA benefit? Does the NCAA receive a portion of the TV money or is that a conference contract? Same question with regard to season ticket sales or pre-season ranking. How does the NCAA benefit from these actions?

Over all implying that the NCAA chose to act in the way they did for money, seems like a large jump of logic. Far more likely incompetence in my opinion.

Comment

I want to chalk it up to incompetence too. I also heard at one point that the staff the NCAA works with on these issues is like six people, so you've got a lack of manpower.

BUT doesn't it seem like this happens all the time? Big-time player getting ready for a game and you hear like 30 minutes before the game that he's ineligible? That seems to happen with some regularity. I can't understand why these things are handled in, say, early October. It seems like they want to send a message.

Comment

Originally posted by lilproUK98 View Post

Penny gave $11,500 for moving expenses before Wiseman's So. And Jr. Years. Penny was classified a Memphis booster before he became coach.... hence the ineligibility. I doubt the NCAA rules him eligible.
                          Interesting. Wonder if that would just make him ineligible at Memphis. Can he transfer and play at another school?

On second thought, doubt it maters as he would be eligible for the NBA draft next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Los Gatos View Post
                            OK even if the game was televised, how does the NCAA benefit? Does the NCAA receive a portion of the TV money or is that a conference contract? Same question with regard to season ticket sales or pre-season ranking. How does the NCAA benefit from these actions?
                            I saw a graph from Statista.com stating that the NCAA's revenue generated in 2018 was about 857 million. Another site stated that the teams in the American Athletic Conference would receive about 7 million a piece. As far as how the ticket revenue is parsed out, I have no idea. I'd guess it varies per conference.

My overall point is that the NCAA took their sweet time on this when in all likelihood they have known this information for a good amount of time. Why ?

When there are millions at stake, it has to factor in at least some. Incompetence probably plays in too, but to place a lot of faith in that to me is akin to believing in amateurism. Folks...it ain't that simple.

I do agree that they are inept, but they are inept and RICH.

Comment

Originally posted by Los Gatos View Post

Interesting. Wonder if that would just make him ineligible at Memphis. Can he transfer and play at another school?

On second thought, doubt it maters as he would be eligible for the NBA draft next year.
                              I'm guessing Wiseman wants as little to do with college basketball as possible at this point. More power to him...pull a Jarred Vanderbilt if he is reinstated.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I wouldn't call less than $12,000 chaos.

And of course Penny Hardaway was a booster at Memphis. Likely has been for two decades.

Of course Wiseman's family needed help moving. My family would have too.

I just don't see a problem there. It's not like Hardaway was setting the family up Renardo Sidney style. Seems like a pretty low-level deal to me from somebody who had been connected to the Wiseman family for years.

Are we to believe that James Wiseman of all people is an amateur anyway? The payoffs he's gotten over the years likely equal into the hundreds of thousands from shoe companies, high school coaches, college coaches...He was probably an industry unto himself at 13 years old. Who cares?
                                I for one, care. Of course I'm old school, that's why I think the monitor is unnecessary and when a player walks, call it. Rules are there for a reason and they should be followed as written and not ignored because somebody doesn't like them. I understand the issue about players being allowed to earn money because of their status, and I'm trying to feel good about it. I guess after having what I call a successful officiating career and surviving to tell about it, I can't for the life of me see why they don't teach officials today to call the game by the rules. The NCAA, as it is now, is worthless because of the uneven way they govern. Way to much thinking going on and not enough action.
                                John 3:3

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

James Wiseman Ruled Ineligible

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X