Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

James Wiseman Ruled Ineligible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

I for one, care. Of course I'm old school, that's why I think the monitor is unnecessary and when a player walks, call it. Rules are there for a reason and they should be followed as written and not ignored because somebody doesn't like them. I understand the issue about players being allowed to earn money because of their status, and I'm trying to feel good about it. I guess after having what I call a successful officiating career and surviving to tell about it, I can't for the life of me see why they don't teach officials today to call the game by the rules. The NCAA, as it is now, is worthless because of the uneven way they govern. Way to much thinking going on and not enough action.
    Generational thing....I pretty much agree down the line.
    the NCAA swallowed the bullet on the players getting compensation...and I can see that. This kind of thing will be residual blowback.....okay for the kid to get money while hes at Memphis but not before? Pinning this on Penny as booster.....heck, even booster 'contributions' to players is going to have to be re-evaluated.
    Only thing that has been a shock how this has played is it's been basketball, not the football cash cow.
    It will be now.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I wouldn't call less than $12,000 chaos.

And of course Penny Hardaway was a booster at Memphis. Likely has been for two decades.

Of course Wiseman's family needed help moving. My family would have too.

I just don't see a problem there. It's not like Hardaway was setting the family up Renardo Sidney style. Seems like a pretty low-level deal to me from somebody who had been connected to the Wiseman family for years.

Are we to believe that James Wiseman of all people is an amateur anyway? The payoffs he's gotten over the years likely equal into the hundreds of thousands from shoe companies, high school coaches, college coaches...He was probably an industry unto himself at 13 years old. Who cares?
      I'm not talking about the specifics of this particular case (which, as you note, are pretty ho-hum).

I'm talking about the rules in general; if the NCAA has governing laws, and schools just stop following them, then there will be chaos. When does it end? Why do college sports have a governing body?

Schools are getting more and move cavalier, thumbing their noses at the NCAA. Penny is essentially calling their bluff here, and I'm not sure Memphis as a program or he as a coach has enough clout to do that. I expect the NCAA to make an example out of them, and frankly, they'll deserve it.

When Kanter was ruled ineligible, for whatever bullcrap reasons he was, you didn't see Cal playing him anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post
        I'm talking about the rules in general; if the NCAA has governing laws, and schools just stop following them, then there will be chaos. When does it end?
        Hopefully with the NCAA dismantled.

Of course the NCAA is only a mirror of its member institutions. The members make the rules so they can't be too incensed when those rules come back to bite them.

I think what's happened recently though is that we have a new brand of coaches who see the world a little differently. So the old model the NCAA uses tends to run up against a new mentality of what amateurism is.

I don't think Kentucky would do what Memphis did with Wiseman, and I'm not sure I would want them to if this was us. But I like it in theory because to me it signifies what college athletics might look like without the NCAA, and that's a situation where these kids are helped. Not given million-dollar contracts, but at least helped. So many of them come from backgrounds where they need it.

It's ironic that LSU is playing this big football game right now, because Dale Brown used to talk about how crazy the NCAA's rules were. He was one of the first proponents of a change that I can remember. He was sort of a visionary.

There's a fine line between cheating and protest. I don't know where that line is drawn but if the $12,500 is all that's at stake here, I can get behind a protest to save Wiseman's eligibility. The college game badly needs kids like this, Wiseman needs Memphis, and nobody really needs the NCAA anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post
          When Kanter was ruled ineligible, for whatever bullcrap reasons he was, you didn't see Cal playing him anyway.
          Totally different situation. Kanter played professional basketball.

Penny Hardaway helped a family move.

Comment

12k to move though? When did Uhaul become so expensive? Kanter made a little more than three times that much and paid it back, so let’s not act like Penny simply was doing it to help a family. He was securing a commitment and likely securing a 7 figure a year job for himself .

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post
              He was securing a commitment and likely securing a 7 figure a year job for himself .
              Maybe so, but there's no way to know that. The NCAA shouldn't be involved in reading intent. Pretty useless endeavor. (Although they have dabbled in that over the years, as some of their inconsistent rulings have shown.)

As for the amount, uprooting an entire household from city to another would be expensive, particularly from Nashille to Memphis. 12K doesn't sound outrageous to me. It took us a couple of thousand to move four miles in Louisville, and that was back in 2004.

Comment

Then produce an itemized receipt with the defense. The Kanters accounted for the cash and it still wasn’t good enough.

Otherwise, kind of obvious what was going on there. It’s as obvious as the concept of amateurism.

Comment

There's a big difference in renting a uhaul and hiring a professional moving company.

Comment

There was some sarcasm with that comment

Comment

I first thought this was bogus but After reading the particulars there is NO WAY this is kosher, that some of you are suggesting it is just shows how far we have fallen in the area of ethics. Come on folks it is obvious what happened here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jload View Post
                        I first thought this was bogus but After reading the particulars there is NO WAY this is kosher, that some of you are suggesting it is just shows how far we have fallen in the area of ethics. Come on folks it is obvious what happened here.
                        Fire or penalize Penny for this all you want. Who could honestly give a spit about Wiseman getting paid though?
                        When he was a kid Lord, he never imagined all the ways that the city could bring a country boy down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

Fire or penalize Penny for this all you want. Who could honestly give a spit about Wiseman getting paid though?
                          Again, this isn't the point.

Penny could give James Wiseman ten millions bucks, and I wouldn't care. However, there are rules established by the governing body, and if schools are just going to thumb their noses at said body and do whatever they want, then I'd say that sets a fairly bad precedent. We're already seeing it from schools like LSU, Arizona, Kansas, North Carolina... I'm all for the destruction of the NCAA, but I'm not sure if this is the way to go about it.

Comment

I've always thought the downfall of the NCAA would be when a team refused to take the floor for the NCAA Tournament.

There've been rumors in the past teams were considering that and I've always thought it's inevitable. I put what Penny's doing on par with something like that. As I said above, I don't know if I would want Kentucky to refuse to play a game or do what Penny's doing. How furious would people be if UK didn't take the court during an NCAA Tournament game out of protest?

But this particular situation is one of those things that might usher in a necessary change.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Good for Penny.
                              I couldn't agree more and I'm glad he has the courage to do it.
                              Jordan Peterson is my spirit animal...

Comment

Courage, this isn’t about courage. It’s about a guy CHEATING. Hardaway broke the rules that everyone else is expected to abide by, and he didn’t do it for the kid, he did it to promote his own self interest. Without rules there is anarchy. Let me tell you if you think college basketball is dirty now trash the NCAA without build a well thought out alternative and watch what happens when the Selfs and Pearls and Millers have no restraints. Seems to me you guys are letting you hatred of NCAAcloud your reason.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

James Wiseman Ruled Ineligible

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X