Announcement

Collapse

Don't Be Alarmed!

You'll notice some design changes and things moving around but don't worry and pardon our mess as we make some improvements visually! Thank you!
See more
See less

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: Eastern Kentucky Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: Eastern Kentucky Edition

The Good

* Nick of Time. Nick Richards may have put up his best game as a Cat. Yeah, so he had to come back in late to notch a double-double, but he was darn efficient when he was in there. I've always thought Richards had good touch; it's the move before the shot that always concerns you. Andy Kennedy made a point about Richards getting a little lower, and I've noticed that myself. Plays too straight up, which allows guys to get into the phone booth with him and rip the ball out. But that hook shot is a beaut, and now what we need to see is some consistency.

* "Sestina" Means Leader in Nordic. Nate Sestina continues to impress. One thing that jumps out about him is how much more vocal than he was than Reid Travis. Not sure Travis was the type of guy who talked a lot. You can see on the TV broadcasts that Sestina is talking to guys at virtually every dead ball. I really like him. Yes, he's limited, but he's going to be a godsend for this program this season and I predict he's a guy who Kentucky fans will remember for years.

* Ashton Hagans is Cliff Hawkins. Hagans' defense...goodness gracious. I tell my son every time we watch a game, "Can you imagine trying to bring the ball up against him?" Nightmare world. How Hagans tries to jump that dribble hand-off is crazy. That's the easiest play in basketball and Hagans gets a hand in there at least half the time. It's insane. If there's a better defender in America show him to me.

* New Balance. Kentucky's balance through two games is a really good sign. Even with Maxey's heroics against Michigan St., the number of shots each guy is getting is a little different than we usually see at UK. Usually two, maybe three, guys dominate the shots. This situation looks a little like 2012...and before you jump me, I'm not saying this team is as good. They just share the ball like that team. I think that comes mostly from having a pass-first point guard who has been in the system for a year.

The Bad

* Team o' Clankers? Kentucky's outside shooting was probably the only negative last night, as the Cats went 2-14. Of course they didn't need to take outside shots, what with the way Eastern presses and gives up easy dunks, but you'd like to see this team, with as thin as the frontcourt is, be a team that can gut you from three. I think they could be that sort of team going forward but they're not there yet.

* Brooks Wasn't Here. Keion Brooks had a nice game last night and he really deserves to go in "The Good," but his 1-6 showing from the foul line made me want to punch a puppy. He's got really good touch, so he shouldn't be such a bad foul shooter. But he hasn't found the stroke yet from there and IMO needs to calm down a tad.

The Ugly

* Crowd Control. That was one of those games where you could hear individual conversations in Rupp. I think I heard somebody putting in her Kroger Click-List for Saturday morning while the Cats were setting up offense at one point. These early season games are so necessary for these young Cats' growth, but they aren't what you would call exciting. Especially if you're in the building.

* A.W. Hamilton is Red Skull. Every time Eastern's coach popped up on my TV screen I had the urge to call the Avengers.

As usual, a great take on the game. I wasn't in Rupp, but from my recliner that game had a hard time keeping this old guy awake. Glad to see Richards have a break out game and I hope he just builds on it. The next six games are very important for this young team. It will give the players and coaches a chance to work on things that will pay off later on. There have been times I wanted to throw something or slap a puppy, but not last night,
    John 3:3

Comment

I love Nick Richards..always have...I hope he plays like that every game

Comment

Lighthouse slapping a puppy? Wow, that's gotta be an easy ejection.

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post
          Lighthouse slapping a puppy? Wow, that's gotta be an easy ejection.
          Only if it's on replay.

Comment

Nice Bill! LH will definitely get a grin over that

Comment

Keion Brooks, woeful from the foul line or not, does not deserve to be anywhere near the "bad," Will.

I thought he had the best game of any Cat not named Nick Richards. He was active to the point where he made a difference on almost every play.

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post

Only if it's on replay.
                After a seven minute meeting at the monitor?

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post
                  Nice Bill! LH will definitely get a grin over that
                  I got a big grin from both posts. But I could never call a T in Will. Could I?
                  John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

I got a big grin from both posts. But I could never call a T in Will. Could I?
                    Maybe just a bench warning.

I almost got kicked out of a game in high school for saying a bad word. The referee told me, and I quote, if I said it again "I'll throw you out of my gym."

My gym? I couldn't believe it.

I'm 42 years old and I think about that three times a week.

Comment

Proud of Nick, he keeps this up makes things much easier for this team...
                      I can spell, blame it on my not so smart smart phone, makes up it's own words as it goes.....

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: Eastern Kentucky Edition

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X