Rupp Arena: To Change The Name Or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post

When a topic such as this exists, in these times, locking it away in a forum not many know about is a bit much. Keep this topic up on here. It deserves to be.
    I have no intention of moving it as long as name calling and angry disagreements don't exist. The reason for my original post was because I was just trying to keep it from happening.
    John 3:3

Comment

I kind of think we've all gotten any name calling burned out of our system. We've all been around long enough now to know we won't be able to change anyone's stand on anything, and we accept it...sometimes by just not engaging in the heat.
      We are who we are. I'm at a place in life where I can appreciate that...even if not the stances on some issues. We disagree and if the name calling starts, we can disengage.
      Either the blood pressure meds or the religion or maybe the whiskey.....

Comment

Back to the Arena. Just my vote is leave it alone. Kentucky will always be pointed at as a racist haven by all the haters. Just the way it is. We recognize Rupp as a man that build a basketball dynasty in an area of the country where basketball was just a break between Bowl games and spring practice. He had his issues, live through them, and had success. In all reality, he was likely no more 'racist' than thousands of other basketball people around the nation.
        Part of our basketball history. Love it, hate it, learn from it, dont learn from it....it's reality. It won't change removing a name.
        BUT like Lighthouse first mentioned.....the decision will likely not be in the hands of the school, the faculty, the students or the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
          Back to the Arena. Just my vote is leave it alone. Kentucky will always be pointed at as a racist haven by all the haters. Just the way it is. We recognize Rupp as a man that build a basketball dynasty in an area of the country where basketball was just a break between Bowl games and spring practice. He had his issues, live through them, and had success. In all reality, he was likely no more 'racist' than thousands of other basketball people around the nation.
          I agree with this. With Rupp you have to do a lot of inferring and cherry-picking, and I don't think that's enough to really put a man on trial for. Especially not four decades after his death.

I've heard that most of the Rupp-is-a-racist stuff comes from a Sports Illustrated article written by Curry Kirkpatrick in the 1980s. I know Jon Scott has countered some of the claims Kirkpatrick made in that article. If one article and a few loose quotes is what you have to destroy a person's reputation then I just don't think that's enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I agree with this. With Rupp you have to do a lot of inferring and cherry-picking, and I don't think that's enough to really put a man on trial for. Especially not four decades after his death.

I've heard that most of the Rupp-is-a-racist stuff comes from a Sports Illustrated article written by Curry Kirkpatrick in the 1980s. I know Jon Scott has countered some of the claims Kirkpatrick made in that article. If one article and a few loose quotes is what you have to destroy a person's reputation then I just don't think that's enough.
            I tend to agree also. Jon Scott's website is where I read the counter arguments. When i have time I'm going to go back and read them again.

Save sports: wear a darn mask

Comment

As silly as it sounds, for nearly everyone under 30-35 (especially outside if Kentucky and BBN), almost everything they know of Rupp comes from a Disney movie.

Comment

Not...

Were there significant evidence that he had been some sort of capital R racist, I could see it, but failing that, detractors can kick rocks in my view.

I do like it when those that propose such things do so. It helps remind those who aren't paying attention what they are about.

99% of Americans would come together in unity on the idea that all should be treated with equality before the law, with dignity, and respect. The spurious "social justice" agenda is inherently divisive, racist, and antithetical to our founding principles.
                Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

I have thought on this for several days now. Went through emotions on this. Realized that emotions are running high on just about everything I read, hear, do and so forth. I let it be for several days not thinking about it one bit. Then I asked myself what does the name mean to me. It means a bunch when I think about the history of the program. It does not however mean as much to me for a name of a building that the man never coached a game in. It is a box, that houses us fans to cheer, or sit in many cases, and watch our team play. Does not matter the coach on the sideline, heck we went and watched the Billy Clyde years. Does not matter who is on the court, they all become our kids to cheer on to victory. Take Rupp off the building and it is still KENTUCKY WILDCATS Playing on the inside. It is still 20 plus thousand of our friends and family cheering the boys in blue and white on. It is still the place where Chapman lead team came back to be Tennessee when down by 7 with no time left. It is still the place where the banners hang. Hang a big banner with the Name RUPP ARENA on it. Then let the community as a whole with Central Bank rename it. I still call the Gridiron place where our guys play COMMONWEALTH Stadium. If they change the name to Central Bank's Wildcat Den, I will still say lets go to Rupp and cheer them on. Won't change a thing for me. I will stand up for things just not this thing. Does not matter to me what it is called. I will go when i have tickets. I will watch when I do not.
                  Proverbs 25:24

Comment

Originally posted by Pobilly View Post
                    I have thought on this for several days now. Went through emotions on this. Realized that emotions are running high on just about everything I read, hear, do and so forth. I let it be for several days not thinking about it one bit. Then I asked myself what does the name mean to me. It means a bunch when I think about the history of the program. It does not however mean as much to me for a name of a building that the man never coached a game in. It is a box, that houses us fans to cheer, or sit in many cases, and watch our team play. Does not matter the coach on the sideline, heck we went and watched the Billy Clyde years. Does not matter who is on the court, they all become our kids to cheer on to victory. Take Rupp off the building and it is still KENTUCKY WILDCATS Playing on the inside. It is still 20 plus thousand of our friends and family cheering the boys in blue and white on. It is still the place where Chapman lead team came back to be Tennessee when down by 7 with no time left. It is still the place where the banners hang. Hang a big banner with the Name RUPP ARENA on it. Then let the community as a whole with Central Bank rename it. I still call the Gridiron place where our guys play COMMONWEALTH Stadium. If they change the name to Central Bank's Wildcat Den, I will still say lets go to Rupp and cheer them on. Won't change a thing for me. I will stand up for things just not this thing. Does not matter to me what it is called. I will go when i have tickets. I will watch when I do not.
                    Interesting post here.

I do think the symbolic value of the name means something to many people. Rupp as the standard-bearer of the program has achieved mythic status with UK fans partly because of his brilliance as a coach, but mainly because he built the thing we still love today. No Rupp, no program.

I agree with you in theory though. I would still watch regardless. It's really not a huge deal to me either way. I sort of thought it was inevitable this fight would happen years ago, so it's kind of expected. Like Matt Jones said the only regret I have is that if it were to really happen it will completely divide the fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by Pobilly View Post
                      I agree with this.

For most folks, I think it has more to do with what changing the name represents, as opposed to anything having to do with UK or Rupp himself.

Comment

Interesting post here.

I do think the symbolic value of the name means something to many people. Rupp as the standard-bearer of the program has achieved mythic status with UK fans partly because of his brilliance as a coach, but mainly because he built the thing we still love today. No Rupp, no program.

I agree with you in theory though. I would still watch regardless. It's really not a huge deal to me either way. I sort of thought it was inevitable this fight would happen years ago, so it's kind of expected. Like Matt Jones said the only regret I have is that if it were to really happen it will completely divide the fanbase.
                        It will divide the fanbase for a couple weeks in the summer, but I'd be willing to put money down that 98% of the angry sect will be tuned in or sitting in the stands when the ball tips.

People love to air their perceived grievances, especially on social media, but when the rubber hits the road, they'll be there. Kentucky sports is a drug for people in this state, and it might be the only thing that trumps politics, no pun intended.

Comment

Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post

It will divide the fanbase for a couple weeks in the summer, but I'd be willing to put money down that 98% of the angry sect will be tuned in or sitting in the stands when the ball tips.

People love to air their perceived grievances, especially on social media, but when the rubber hits the road, they'll be there. Kentucky sports is a drug for people in this state, and it might be the only thing that trumps politics, no pun intended.
                          Well, it would have lingering effects on people even if they chose to still go to games.

Because you'd have the tribalism that's crushed America driven in deeper. One side would declare war on the social justice warriors and the other side would be convinced the pro-Rupp people were racist.

Nuance is sort of dead in America.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post
                            Not...

99% of Americans would come together in unity on the idea that all should be treated with equality before the law, with dignity, and respect. The spurious "social justice" agenda is inherently divisive, racist, and antithetical to our founding principles.
                            best comment I've seen anywhere in two months about the current state of affairs.

Comment

Some good points. I attended games at Memorial...what they named the big arena in the 70s didnt mean much.
                              I've often wished UK would build an on campus facility again.

I think it's a solid point that this would be yet another battle flag for many....even those who really know nothing of Rupp. Just another social Justice war.

Rupp is the foundation of what we consider Kentucky Basketball success. His name is highly relevant.

One day the Foitball field may be named Stoops Field. Who knows?

Comment

And going back to the dividing the fanbase thing, if you polled UK fans on this they'd probably be about 90% "keep name" and 10% ditch it. Maybe even 95/5.

When you get into sports fans generally and Kentucky fans specifically it's not like you're talking northeastern libs. We're pretty likeminded about most things as long as you get people off computers and have them discuss issues in the real world. (We're also something like 97% white.)

So I'm not sure this is an issue that would divide the fanbase really.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Rupp Arena: To Change The Name Or Not?

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X