Rupp Arena: To Change The Name Or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post

I just hope and pray Cal stays out of it but i am afraid that this mob will turn on your even if you support it, it's crazy...

Well technically speaking, i voted for Clinton and Obama once but people change. I am independent conservative Christian but also liberal in many ways. I didn't like Trump when he had a TV show, thought he was A hole but i do think he changed and i do like most of his policies, economy was booming prior to pandemic and most loved him before he became president but that is a conversation for another day.

Off topic but the government is going to be releasing data on the UFO sighting in the upcoming weeks, makes you think why we now have a space force lol lol lol
    Please come over to the political forum and explain what Trump did or said between his tv show and his presidency to change your opinion of him being an a-hole. I'm legitimately curious.

Comment

Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post

The truth is usually simple.

COVID-19 is real. While many will experience mild symptoms, it has killed many, and will kill many more. We have been betrayed by our leadership, which has used partisanship and a campaign of misinformation to make a political warzone. It doesn't help that our country is full of stubborn, arrogant and ignorant lemmings who refuse to listen to science. This is why America is so woefully behind the curve in comparison to other countries.

Theres your truth.

But anyway... about Rupp. It would seem that the topic has disappeared from the public discourse in the past few days.
      Yes agreed, Covid 19 is real. Also agree that places like New York haved used this pandemic and armed it for political gain, Thank God our President shut down travel from China early on, how do you get to the political forum from here?

Comment

Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post
        how do you get to the political forum from here?
        Should have access now.

Comment

Arena names get changed for a lot of reasons. We see it often in football....especially when it comes to who is sponsoring a bowl game. Tax Slayer bowl...it took me a couple years and finally a Google search to see what that was in reference. Commonwealth Stadium, CM Newton Field, Memorial Gym, and on and on.
          I understand the name Rupp is automatically a trigger word for some. BUT:
          It has been for years. Nothing has really changed. All SEC schools have at best a poor history when it comes to race relations. Sometimes nightmarish. I remember a game or games played in Baton Rouge (basketball) where Cawood had to continually raise his voice over the racial epithets directed at UK players. Historically, that wasnt that long ago.

It will be up to the city and sponsors as far as the naming of the Arena. Most fans will voice their displeasure, some will quit spending their dollars and use the name change as a reason. Some won't. If the name is kept, well....we may see the same thing....albeit to a lesser degree.

Personally, I'm okay with the name. The black people in my area that are sports fans are okay with the name. In Lexington, maybe not so much. Don't know. I think given Rupp's accomplishments and what he meant to the success of the basketball program that name is appropriate. Then again, I believe the same of Bear Bryant....any field or stadium named for him is warranted...and let's face it...by all accounts, he was a few years behind Rupp in the buy in to black athletes...I've read that he reached out to CM Newton while Newton was basketball coach (Leon Douglas, Reggie King) to ask how to coach black athletes.

Anyway.....we all have our different flags planted in different places politically. I see no benefit to changing an arena name other than an attempt at political correctness...which I think we can agree is a changeable concept.

Leave the name. Play the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

How is it possible to discuss the OP without any political discussion? The name change and the reasons for it are social/political.

I understand having the locked and hidden political board for general politics and soapbox shouting, but this is a political issue that is totally connected to UK basketball and BBN. It's a special case and should stay where it is despite the inherently political and divisive content. You can still moderate and enforce the "civility" rules.
            This is true but what I *think* lighthouse is referring to are, as Matt Colvin called them, the 'extracurriculars.' The stuff that has not one iota to do with Rupp.
            Save sports: wear a darn mask

Comment

In regards to Rupp Arena name change, I would advise read some of author Shelby Steele's book and see how this all ties together. This narrative being pushed is unreal...

Comment

How is it possible to discuss the OP without any political discussion? The name change and the reasons for it are social/political.

I understand having the locked and hidden political board for general politics and soapbox shouting, but this is a political issue that is totally connected to UK basketball and BBN. It's a special case and should stay where it is despite the inherently political and divisive content. You can still moderate and enforce the "civility" rules.
                And I will. I've seen thread like this before and my comments were to keep this discussion civil and not get out of hand like some have before. Be at peace brother.
                John 3:3

Comment

Long article from Yahoo Sports about Rupp.

Like a lot of pieces written about him, this sketches Rupp as a complicated person who it's very hard to pigeonhole. He definitely seemed to dip his toe into the racism pool but he also was undoubtedly hamstrung by Kentucky fans and the Southern culture at the time when it came to recruiting black players.

I guess the verdict on Rupp for anyone comes down to how much stock they put into Rupp being a "man of his time."

https://sports.yahoo.com/racist-or-m...143240711.html

Comment

It's a questionable thing to try and judge a person from years ago by the standards of today. Bill Maher was stating this in reference to the attitudes of a candidate thirty years ago.
                    As he said, this nation's abolitionist society first met in 1785. Out of the whole nation at that time, there were a total of 24. People learn, people change and adapt. Judging their actions from today is a dangerous trend.
                    Judging Rupp based on today's morality or political correctness is not fair.
                    Judge him on his accomplishments.

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
                      It's a questionable thing to try and judge a person from years ago by the standards of today. Bill Maher was stating this in reference to the attitudes of a candidate thirty years ago.
                      As he said, this nation's abolitionist society first met in 1785. Out of the whole nation at that time, there were a total of 24. People learn, people change and adapt. Judging their actions from today is a dangerous trend.
                      AMEN!
                      John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
                        Agreed.

But what's odd about America is that we often think of civil rights issues and abhorrent racism as being "a thing of the past." The truth is a lot of our most infamous civil rights battles were happening not that long ago, really.

Not that I think Adolph Rupp was engaged in abhorrent racism, because I don't think that. I agree that it's not fair to judge people who lived in previous generations in the context of now. However, I stand by what I said above and what the Yahoo! article suggests: Rupp could've been a trailblazer when it comes to race but he passed. That doesn't mean we should take his name off the building but it remains disappointing now.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                          Rupp could've been a trailblazer when it comes to race but he passed.
                          It's a petty and stupid game to criticize someone 50 years after the fact for failing to be what you want them to be. (the collective you not you specifically Will)

It's also out of touch with the human experience...

Spoiler: If anyone of us (Rupp's detractors included) had been living in Germany in 1933, the overwhelming odds are that we would have been Nazis and complicit in all that went on. Everyone wants to believe that if given the chance that they would be the hero to stand tall against collective evil, sacrificing life, position, and property to do so because of "what they believe" or "who they are". They believe this while luxuriating in one of the best places to live (or protest) for any person in human history. (Anywhere USA) With more freedom (for now), wealth, safety, medicine, and comfort that at any point in the last 6000 years. Even our poor are generally fabulously well off compared to actually poor places on this planet and better off than most of the billions of people who came before them.

When we look in the mirror, the message needs to be, "I'm EXACTLY the kind of person who is capable of the greatest evils the world has ever seen and I need to take proactive steps every day to make sure I don't go down that road." People that trust in the idea that they aren't "the kind of person who does x" are the sort that end up doing x when they least expect it and wondering how they got there.
                          Last edited by Spiritof96; 08-05-2020, 03:01 PM.
                          Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                          He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                          Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                          I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Agreed.

But what's odd about America is that we often think of civil rights issues and abhorrent racism as being "a thing of the past."
                            Racism is alive and well, you have people being shamed and blamed for things they never had anything to do wit based on the color of skin.

For Kentucky fans, it's dang if you do dang if you don't, we been accused of being racist for years because of Rupp, typical slander blame game and i know of no one who likes Kentucky who is a racist. If that is the case, whole lot of racist people tune in to watch Kentucky basketball across the world, most real racist don't even watch sports at all, they just don't .......
                            Last edited by J.Jennings; 08-05-2020, 09:03 AM.

Comment

It's a petty and stupid game to criticize someone 50 years after the fact for failing to be what you want them to be. (the collective you not you specifically Will)
                              True...

...BUT many wanted Rupp to be that trailblazer back then. Even in the Yahoo! article it's mentioned. I've read many times that people saw Rupp as a person who could be a change agent for the entire sport because of his stature at that time.

Comment

It's also out of touch with the human experience...

Spoiler: If anyone of us (Rupp's detractors included) had been living in Germany in 1933, the overwhelming odds are we would have been Nazis and complicit in all that went on. Everyone wants to believe that if given the chance that they would be the hero to stand tall against collective evil, sacrificing life, position, and property to do so because of "what they believe" or "who they are". They believe this while luxuriating in one of the best places to live (or protest) for any person in human history. (Anywhere USA) With more freedom (for now), wealth, safety, medicine, and comfort that at any point in the last 6000 years. Even our poor are generally fabulously well off compared to actually poor places on this planet and better off than most of the billions of people who came before them.

When we look in the mirror, the message needs to be, "I'm EXACTLY the kind of person who is capable of the greatest evils the world has ever seen and I need to take proactive steps every day to make sure I don't go down that road." People that trust in the idea that they aren't "the kind of person who does x" are the sort that end up doing x when they least expect it and wondering they got there.
                                One of the best posts I've ever read on here, period.
                                Philippians 4:11 & 4:13

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Rupp Arena: To Change The Name Or Not?

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X