No announcement yet.

Rupp Arena: To Change The Name Or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone has made solid points. Will, as to yours as Rupp being a trailblazer, you could very well be correct. I truly believe he would have had to do it at another university.

I was in elementary school when Kentucky "officially" desegregated. 99% of the kids didnt care. Wasn't so with parents and grandparents. Those were the people that would have been judging Rupp.

Even though today is not anywhere near a paradise of race relations, it was far harsher in Rupps day. Throw in Kentucky was likely better than the other SEC schools, and I truly doubt Rupp would have been given a chance. That unfortunately also includes the safety of his own players.

Things will play out as they will, but if we continue to damn ourselves for what past generations did or thought, we will continue on this bad road.

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
      Throw in Kentucky was likely better than the other SEC schools,.
      Probably so, as our success in the football program with regard to race would attest.

Comment

Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post
        For Kentucky fans, it's dang if you do dang if you don't, we been accused of being racist for years because of Rupp, typical slander blame game and i know of no one who likes Kentucky who is a racist.......
        I heard a bunch of racist stuff when Tubby Smith was the coach from UK fans.

Went into a barber shop once in eastern KY and a bunch of guys--six or seven--were dropping the n-word like crazy as they discussed Tubby. Had a relative tell me once that he didn't have a problem with black people, he just didn't want a black man coaching UK. Heard it a few more times.

How widespread was that? I don't know and don't really think it matters. But just denying that it's out there doesn't really help anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Went into a barber shop once in eastern KY and a bunch of guys--six or seven--were dropping the n-word like crazy as they discussed Tubby. Had a relative tell me once that he didn't have a problem with black people, he just didn't want a black man coaching UK. Heard it a few more times.

How widespread was that? I don't know and don't really think it matters. But just denying that it's out there doesn't really help anything.
          Its out there on both sides unfortunately, I don't like anything about it ...

What is the end game or do we have this hanging over our heads rest of our life, rest of our children's life?

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
            Everyone has made solid points. Will, as to yours as Rupp being a trailblazer, you could very well be correct. I truly believe he would have had to do it at another university.

I was in elementary school when Kentucky "officially" desegregated. 99% of the kids didnt care. Wasn't so with parents and grandparents. Those were the people that would have been judging Rupp.

Even though today is not anywhere near a paradise of race relations, it was far harsher in Rupps day. Throw in Kentucky was likely better than the other SEC schools, and I truly doubt Rupp would have been given a chance. That unfortunately also includes the safety of his own players.

Things will play out as they will, but if we continue to damn ourselves for what past generations did or thought, we will continue on this bad road.
            I agree, I would advise some to read Shelby Steele, he explains this thinking in depth but the problem is it doesn't fit the narrative or agenda...

Comment

Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post
              What is the end game or do we have this hanging over our heads rest of our life, rest of our children's life?
              It's not hanging over my head at all.

It's only hanging over a person's head if they want it to be. I have no problem being a white, middle-aged Kentucky fan and have no guilt whatsoever. I'm glad I was born white but I try really hard to understand the perspective of those who weren't born like me. That's all I can do.

In the context of UK fandom, I've only heard "All UK fans are racist" on the Internet. I put as much stock in people who claim all UK fans are racist as I do folks who believe lizard people run the government. That's the sort of troll-like nonsense that isn't even worth our time.

Now when someone says "Some UK fans are racist," I come back with, "Absolutely, and those people disappoint the hell out of me," because I know that statement to be true.

But the fact that some UK fans are racist doesn't hang over my head. Heck some people in my own family are racist. Just denying that they don't exist puts us in this endless vortex of accusation and denial.

Comment

It's only hanging over a person's head if they want it to be. I have no problem being a white, middle-aged Kentucky fan and have no guilt whatsoever. I'm glad I was born white but I try really hard to understand the perspective of those who weren't born like me. That's all I can do.

In the context of UK fandom, I've only heard "All UK fans are racist" on the Internet. I put as much stock in people who claim all UK fans are racist as I do folks who believe lizard people run the government. That's the sort of troll-like nonsense that isn't even worth our time.

Now when someone says "Some UK fans are racist," I come back with, "Absolutely, and those people disappoint the hell out of me," because I know that statement to be true.

But the fact that some UK fans are racist doesn't hang over my head. Heck some people in my own family are racist. Just denying that they don't exist puts us in this endless vortex of accusation and denial.
                Morgan Freeman said it best, you want it to go away stop talking about, stop adding fuel to the 🔥

Comment

Not widespread. I never heard a mention of anything like that except from bs artist "sports media" people who insist such things were commonplace.
                  Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                  He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                  Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                  I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

It's not hanging over my head at all. I have no problem being a white, middle-aged Kentucky fan and have no guilt whatsoever.
                    If some of the empowered woke at UK have there way you will or you'll be sorry you didn't get with the program.

It won't be soon, but on our current course, it's coming.

Ask DS, he knows...

Aspirational...

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                    I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

If some of the empowered woke at UK have there way you will or you'll be sorry you didn't get with the program.

Ask DS, he knows...
                      This situation (in Tony Soprano voice, ) is going to force alot of hands from boosters fans etc. Again we as Americans trying our best to bring it all down, this spoiled entitled generation takes no for a answer offers no solutions just slander and call everyone a racist who disagrees or stands in it's way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I will not apologize, God made me who I am. I have never ownerd slaves and have always treated all fair. We all know there are situations black Americans are treated wrong but there is also another side, many hate us because of our color of skin, it's wrong its very bad on both sides. You also have very proud Hispanic families who like either black or white, many Europeans hate Americans for many reasons but will never admit it, it's just how people are unfortunately, doesn't mean we approve or have go associate with these kind of people.....

Comment

Ask DS, he knows...
                          I do?
                          Save sports: wear a darn mask

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

I do?
                            Once we start down this road give a inch they will want a mile, it will never be enough, there is no END GAME. Yes, we have screwed up people in the world past and present but it is a small minority, not the whole majority. You cut these folks off ignore it stop talking about it and giving it juice it will fade but of course our media doesn't want that, they want chaos divide, for us all living in harmony and peace would be to easy, no more power, no more ratings, no more leverage, it is a screwed up sick world we live and seem like it's getting worse.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

I do?
                              I think we have both been acquainted with someone at UK who has leveraged the recent upheaval to acquire significant influence on where UK is heading wrt social justice. And it isn't good for UK, students, or society.

Perhaps not.
                              Aspirational...

Comment

I think we have both been acquainted with someone at UK who has leveraged the recent upheaval to acquire significant influence on where UK is heading wrt social justice. And it isn't good for UK, students, or society.

Perhaps not.
                                Ah, yeah though the person I knew left UK a couple years ago to move back to NKY. She married a rich guy so she can afford to not work while she rails on against the patriarchy.
                                Save sports: wear a darn mask

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Rupp Arena: To Change The Name Or Not?

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X