Rupp Arena: To Change The Name Or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

Not widespread. I never heard a mention of anything like that except from bs artist "sports media" people who insist such things were commonplace.
    Probably a difference in where we grew up.

Also might reflect a difference in how often we talk about UK basketball out in the world. When UK basketball is being played, chances are that's what I'm going to be talking about when I run into people I know. And because I grew up in a basketball-crazy community where almost everybody is talking UK during the winter, the Kentucky coach is going to be on the tips of everyone's tongue.

I wouldn't say that kind of thing was commonplace necessarily, but I definitely heard it a bit. I also definitely sensed it from some message board posters over the years but that was just a feeling I got and could never prove it. They were definitely obsessed about Tubby in an unnatural way. There's a website with a thread still active about him right now. That thread has been active for almost twenty years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Probably a difference in where we grew up.

Also might reflect a difference in how often we talk about UK basketball out in the world. When UK basketball is being played, chances are that's what I'm going to be talking about when I run into people I know. And because I grew up in a basketball-crazy community where almost everybody is talking UK during the winter, the Kentucky coach is going to be on the tips of everyone's tongue.

I wouldn't say that kind of thing was commonplace necessarily, but I definitely heard it a bit. I also definitely sensed it from some message board posters over the years but that was just a feeling I got and could never prove it. They were definitely obsessed about Tubby in an unnatural way. There's a website with a thread still active about him right now. That thread has been active for almost twenty years.
      I don't mean that my experience was the more common, but I lived in KY at the time, had relatives in rural parts of the state, and didn't run across that kid of thing.

Although after sleeping on it I did hear a now retired old barber in Lexington say something that sounded like a racial shot at Tubby. Once.
      Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
      He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
      Originally posted by Charlie Munger
      I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

Ah, yeah though the person I knew left UK a couple years ago to move back to NKY. She married a rich guy so she can afford to not work while she rails on against the patriarchy.
        Yeah, I knew her too.

The person I am referring too is more extreme than her and MUCH more empowered from an internal perspective. This person would fit like hand in glove with a Klansmen if they could agree on who had the wrong color skin.
        Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
        He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
        Originally posted by Charlie Munger
        I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

I don't mean that my experience was the more common, but I lived in KY at the time, had relatives in rural parts of the state, and didn't run across that kid of thing.

Although after sleeping on it I did hear a now retired old barber in Lexington say something that sounded like a racial shot at Tubby. Once.
          I heard a Committee of 101 member once say that he used the n-word around Tubby and Tubby didn't care.

Obviously a bogus story. And this guy claimed to love Tubby and the n-word wasn't used toward Tubby but just in conversation. But it does show a disconnect in the way white Kentucky fans understand the experience of the players/coaches we foist our loyalty on.

Comment

I heard a Committee of 101 member once say that he used the n-word around Tubby and Tubby didn't care.

Obviously a bogus story. And this guy claimed to love Tubby and the n-word wasn't used toward Tubby but just in conversation. But it does show a disconnect in the way white Kentucky fans understand the experience of the players/coaches we foist our loyalty on.
            Speaking of the N word, the youth throw that word around on a daily basis, white black hispanic etc, it's part of the culture....

Comment

• Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post

Speaking of the N word, the youth throw that word around on a daily basis, white black hispanic etc, it's part of the culture....
              My son plays basketball with a lot of black kids and I see them interacting a lot. I don't ever hear white kids using the n-word.

Comment

My son plays basketball with a lot of black kids and I see them interacting a lot. I don't ever hear white kids using the n-word.
                Alot of white kids amongst themselves say that word and not because they are racist, they think it's cool and part of the culture....

Comment

Alot of white kids amongst themselves say that word and not because they are racist, they think it's cool and part of the culture....
                  I have NEVER heard two white kids use this in a non-derogatory way. This isn't true at all.
                  Save sports: wear a darn mask

Comment

Part of what culture? Every young person in America isn’t part of the same generic “youth” culture.

Comment

I have NEVER heard two white kids use this in a non-derogatory way. This isn't true at all.
                      Hate to say it, but he isn’t completely wrong about this. In high school I was around plenty of white kids who tried to adopt the word (with an “a” at the end) as part of their group lexicon. They hadn’t forgotten that it was still a terrible slur, but they weren’t using it maliciously. They were just young idiots who convinced themselves that it was okay to use it toward one another.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

Part of what culture? Every young person in America isn’t part of the same generic “youth” culture.
                        Agreed....

Comment

• Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

Hate to say it, but he isn’t completely wrong about this. In high school I was around plenty of white kids who tried to adopt the word (with an “a” at the end) as part of their group lexicon. They hadn’t forgotten that it was still a terrible slur, but they weren’t using it maliciously. They were just young idiots who convinced themselves that it was okay to use it toward one another.
                          I heard one kid say this in high school and he almost got his arse kicked.

I played basketball with a bunch of white guys and never heard it.
                          Save sports: wear a darn mask

Comment

I heard one kid say this in high school and he almost got his arse kicked.

I played basketball with a bunch of white guys and never heard it.
                            I went to Bell County. We had maybe one black kid in our school per year.

It wasn’t uncommon for some guys to use it in the “my n***a” sense, and there was no threat of repercussions.

Comment

• This thread is like a train wreck that you have to watch 😊
                              Is it not up to the bank that owns the facility to change the name or leave it the same?

Comment

• Originally posted by justford View Post
                                This thread is like a train wreck that you have to watch 😊
                                Is it not up to the bank that owns the facility to change the name or leave it the same?
                                I thought Central Bank put in a bid to own the naming rights, meaning they get to name it? Is that incorrect?
                                Proverbs 25:24

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Rupp Arena: To Change The Name Or Not?

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X