No announcement yet.

Rupp Arena: To Change The Name Or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey WCN fam its been awhile since I've poked my head in here but here is my take: I don't know how many WCN African American fam we have on this site, but speaking as an African American Woman and a UK b-ball fan, I really didn't feel anything either way when I first heard about it on B/R. With all the civil unrest going on (it took George Floyd during a pandemic, when most folks are glued to the news for other reasons) for me there are bigger issues to address. And maybe as a Generation X person that's how I feel-no opinion on it either way, but some African American Millennials and Generation Z have a different outlook than me.

Comment

• Hey 85 Fly...yep...it seems to be a hot button issue for some. It's seems most of us here generally want the name to stay (I know I would rather it stick) BUT....
      end of the day, we don't pay for naming rights.

Comment

• If my memory is correct---Vanderbilt was the first SEC basketball team to have a black player--do not recall the year!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ralph helm View Post
          If my memory is correct---Vanderbilt was the first SEC basketball team to have a black player--do not recall the year!!!!!
          I believe that is correct. I would have to do some digging to find out who.

Comment

• Perry Wallace (1967-1970).
            Philippians 4:11 & 4:13

Comment

• Thanks Matt!

Comment

• https://www.aseaofblue.com/2020/8/26...news-coach-cal

Comment

• Cal is a master of saying a lot of words, while simultaneously saying nothing.

We'll "listen." Sure. What the hell does that even mean?

Comment

• Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post

Cal is a master of saying a lot of words, while simultaneously saying nothing.

We'll "listen." Sure. What the hell does that even mean?
                    Cal a salesman, everything is being brought to everyone's front door whether we want it to or not, even to those who just want to stay out of politics social change etc...

Comment

• Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post

Cal a salesman, everything is being brought to everyone's front door whether we want it to or not, even to those who just want to stay out of politics social change etc...
                      Awfully similar to another certain salesman we frequently debate on the political forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post

Awfully similar to another certain salesman we frequently debate on the political forum.
                        More moves than a belly dancer...

Comment

• It’s Calipari’s safest move. Say a lot without saying anything

Comment

• Win a couple Championships do what you want...

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2020/8/28...ge-uk-wildcats

Comment

• I'll probably watch his video tomorrow when I get a chance.

A couple of things that immediately come to mind, just in general and not specifically in response to Keion, are:

1. The University of Kentucky Basketball program is far larger than any one person.
                              2. I have said on here before that it is a given that Adolph Rupp was ultra-competitive, that he was an intelligent man who viewed the issue as a whole and understood just what the undertaking would mean for his team and the individual who would break that barrier, and that I see no evidence of him being a racist. He was truly special and I think that the University/Lexington/our conference opponents had more to do with delaying than Rupp did.
                              3. I'm glad that neither Adolph nor Herky, Cawood Ledford, or Bill Keightley are alive to endure the misrepresentation and continued attack on Adolph Rupp. I hope that no one is cruel enough to try and interview Joe B. Hall. He's too old for it imo.
                              4. I hate to see the name change, but if we build a new facility (won't happen now) then by all means name it something else.

------

The quote about being viewed as nothing more than a source of entertainment is interesting. Not surprising at all, but highly interesting on many fronts.

Comment

• Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Rupp Arena: To Change The Name Or Not?

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X