Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Basketball Considering a Bubble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Basketball Considering a Bubble?

Not sure how this would work, but news yesterday was that Power 5 conferences were considering an NBA-style bubble for this upcoming college basketball season.

I'm trying to get a sense of how it would work out but the logistics seem crazy.

There is no way this makes any sort of sense.

These are college kids, not professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
      Not sure how this would work, but news yesterday was that Power 5 conferences were considering an NBA-style bubble for this upcoming college basketball season.

I'm trying to get a sense of how it would work out but the logistics seem crazy.
      The KSR article on using UK as a site, planned on using court space that doesn't exist at this time.
      Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
      He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
      Originally posted by Charlie Munger
      I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

I guess with E learning it could work. Have tutors travel with teams all in one area. Not sure it is a viable option as far as cost to budgets.
        Proverbs 25:24

Comment

You could maybe create an AAU situation where you play on weekends only, bubble a certain amount of conference teams into facilities, and have them play three games a weekend on a Saturday/Sunday. Test when they come in and when they leave to contain the bubble.

You could run through an 18-game league schedule in six weeks playing like that. Maybe start your season on February 1, end it on March 15th, then bubble in for a Power 5-only NCAA Tournament.

Comment

You could maybe create an AAU situation where you play on weekends only, bubble a certain amount of conference teams into facilities, and have them play three games a weekend on a Saturday/Sunday. Test when they come in and when they leave to contain the bubble.

You could run through an 18-game league schedule in six weeks playing like that. Maybe start your season on February 1, end it on March 15th, then bubble in for a Power 5-only NCAA Tournament.
            What would happen if a player(s) tested positive while in the bubble? Would the team be disqualified or allowed to make up the game or ??

Comment

Originally posted by justford View Post

What would happen if a player(s) tested positive while in the bubble? Would the team be disqualified or allowed to make up the game or ??
              If they all go in as a negative then they shouldn't be tested once inside. Not sure why there would be a need to do that if the bubble is solid.

Comment

I think it will end up being canceled and a potential great team will never play one game in a Kentucky uniform, no way a bubble can work in my opinion...

Comment

With football in limbo like it is, there's no way basketball survives without a bubble of some kind.

Comment

With football in limbo like it is, there's no way basketball survives without a bubble of some kind.
                    Seems to me that basketball would be a heck of a lot easier to pull off than football. Don't let fans attend games, limit the staff to only essential workers, make everyone operate in their own campus bubbles. You wouldn't be talking about that many people at each game that way, whereas with football you're at 200~ just with players and coaching staffs.

Comment

I still think the idea of bubbling college kids who arent getting paid for their efforts is a ludicrous idea.

Comment

The Pac-12 has cancelled all non-conference games until January.

Pretty clear most of college athletics is going to really try to push things as far into the future as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post
                          I still think the idea of bubbling college kids who arent getting paid for their efforts is a ludicrous idea.
                          That's one thing this pandemic has truly exposed for sure: Power 5s in football & basketball trying to find a way to play at all cost (even postpone rather than cancel to see if things change in the spring). Why? Money! But they are "student athletes" I think that NCAA argument has been put to bed, moving forward...get on paying these kids for their names and likeness

Comment

Originally posted by 85 Fly View Post

That's one thing this pandemic has truly exposed for sure: Power 5s in football & basketball trying to find a way to play at all cost (even postpone rather than cancel to see if things change in the spring). Why? Money! But they are "student athletes" I think that NCAA argument has been put to bed, moving forward...get on paying these kids for their names and likeness
                            I think you're right.

Comment

Per the Internet, Holiday Hoopsgiving--which UK was scheduled to participate in against Georgia Tech--is considering holding the event in a bubble and having teams play multiple games. Atlanta may be the scheduled site.

Interesting sidenote is that Memphis is part of that event. If they do a round robin thing then Kentucky vs. Memphis could be a reality.

Intriguing.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

College Basketball Considering a Bubble?

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X