Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenny Payne Thread (UPDATE: Knicks Hire Payne, UK Hires Flint and Lucas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenny Payne Thread (UPDATE: Knicks Hire Payne, UK Hires Flint and Lucas)

LEXINGTON, Ky. — Multiple sports outlets are reporting that Kentucky basketball associate head coach Kenny Payne has been extended an offer to be the assistant for the New York Knicks and new coach Tom Thibodeau.

Payne has been with the Wildcats since the 2010 season and has helped develop some of the best big men in the game that are thriving in the NBA. There are players like Anthony Davis, Karl-Anthony Towns, DeMarcus Cousins and Bam Adebayo.

https://www.lex18.com/sports/multipl...-by-the-knicks
    Philippians 4:11 & 4:13

Jones said yesterday there's a very good chance this may happen.

Would be interesting to see who Kentucky hired if Payne left.

Comment

Would there be any interest in bringing back Orlando Antigua?

Comment

Originally posted by SCBlu View Post
        Would there be any interest in bringing back Orlando Antigua?
        Would be awesome to have him back. Antigua is currently an assistant under Brad Underwood at Illinois.

Comment

Based on the wording in his statement, it seems to me that Payne is angling for a big raise at Kentucky.

Comment

For what it’s worth Antigua would be my first choice but Bruiser Flint’s name has also been mentioned on some sites. Hope KP stays.
            Last edited by justford; 08-09-2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by justford View Post
              For what it’s worth Antigua would be my first choice but Bruiser Flint’s name has also been mentioned on some sites. Hope KP stays.
              I'm not sure Flint would be a suitable replacement. I don't remember the details, but I seem to recall there was some controversy surrounding his departure from UMASS.
              Philippians 4:11 & 4:13

Comment

I sure hope Payne stays, but if he left Antigua would be my pick. Have no idea who this Flint is.
                John 3:3

Comment

Flint = *fart noise*

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post

I'm not sure Flint would be a suitable replacement. I don't remember the details, but I seem to recall there was some controversy surrounding his departure from UMASS.
                    I don't believe so but am not positive. I believe he was simply fired because he wasn't a very good head coach.

He went to Drexel, where he was also pretty mediocre after having some early success. A Google search tells me he never got to the NCAA Tournament at Drexel.

He does show up as a footnote in Kentucky history, though. Drexel was the team we beat to notch win number two thousand. One of the most special games I've attended. I think I still have the t-shirt.

Comment

Hiring Flint seems like a charity case. Again, tell Cal I vote no.

Comment

Just have a feeling that he will go to the Knicks. All of the sudden our staff isn't full of all-stars like it was at the beginning of the Calipari Era

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post
                          Just have a feeling that he will go to the Knicks. All of the sudden our staff isn't full of all-stars like it was at the beginning of the Calipari Era
                          I think so, too.

Comment

The other thing too would be that all of the sudden he’s doing something that Tubby caught a bunch of crap over...hiring and retaining buddies rather than trying to have the best staff.

That comment isn’t necessarily qualified and I know Barbee isn’t completely analogous to Scott Rigot...but still that is my reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post
                              The other thing too would be that all of the sudden he’s doing something that Tubby caught a bunch of crap over...hiring and retaining buddies rather than trying to have the best staff.

That comment isn’t necessarily qualified and I know Barbee isn’t completely analogous to Scott Rigot...but still that is my reaction.
                              I’ve never been impressed by Barbee. I know he’s been given credit for leading a few important recruitments, but there’s just something about the guy that doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Kenny Payne Thread (UPDATE: Knicks Hire Payne, UK Hires Flint and Lucas)

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X