Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenny Payne Thread (UPDATE: Knicks Hire Payne, UK Hires Flint and Lucas)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

    At the very least it shows how powerful of a program Kentucky is.

    To take a guy from a power conference team who was an on-the-bench assistant and bring him in as a recruiting specialist is pretty crazy. Probably only UK, Duke, and maybe Kansas could pull off something like that.
    Strangely enough, I don’t think it would have worked without COVID. Lucas wouldn’t accept a position that minimizes his strengths, and his current role would do exactly that if this were a typical, boots-on-the-ground recruiting season. But, since all recruiting is happening virtually, he can afford to accept an odd, temporary title because, at present, it doesn’t prevent him from getting involved in recruiting.

    I’d be willing to bet that his title isn’t as indefinite as it’s been made out to be. He wouldn’t come in under vague promises about future positions/promotions. “Yeah, you might hold this title for the year, maybe two, maybe three.” Nuh-uh. I guarantee the staff expects Justus to vacate by season’s end — two years MAX.

    Comment


    • #62
      Lucas says he had his mind made up for months and was coming to UK until Tubby left.

      https://247sports.com/college/kentuc...m_content=Link

      Comment


      • #63
        Calipari announced Lucas and Tony Barbee have switched jobs.
        Save sports: wear a darn mask

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by matt colvin View Post
          Meh....
          Well, in hindsight.....

          Comment


          • #65
            Lucas seems to have injected some much-needed energy into the UK coaching staff.

            Comment


            • #66
              I admit to not being in the know on the coaching staff but people seem to think Tony Barbee didn't really pull his weight.
              Save sports: wear a darn mask

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                I admit to not being in the know on the coaching staff but people seem to think Tony Barbee didn't really pull his weight.
                The consensus is that Barbee was sort of resting on his laurels. He'd been a head coach already, the assistants at UK make great money relative to other assistants, he's Cal's buddy, etc. The thought has always been that he's dead weight on a coaching staff that had gone a little stale.

                Jai Lucas seems to have much more energy and enthusiasm, which makes sense: he's young, he obviously wants to be a head coach, there are obvious reasons he'd want to get out there and make things happen.

                And he seems to've done that already, especially if Kentucky can pull Collins tomorrow.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

                  The consensus is that Barbee was sort of resting on his laurels. He'd been a head coach already, the assistants at UK make great money relative to other assistants, he's Cal's buddy, etc. The thought has always been that he's dead weight on a coaching staff that had gone a little stale.

                  Jai Lucas seems to have much more energy and enthusiasm, which makes sense: he's young, he obviously wants to be a head coach, there are obvious reasons he'd want to get out there and make things happen.

                  And he seems to've done that already, especially if Kentucky can pull Collins tomorrow.
                  I've been in this boat since Barbee was hired. Friend or not, he is dead weight, and money spent badly. Now, Mr Collins, come on down.
                  John 3:3

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    So when Cal gets ejected or is sick, who is the acting head coach?

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by justford View Post
                      So when Cal gets ejected or is sick, who is the acting head coach?
                      My guess would be Bruiser.
                      Save sports: wear a darn mask

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

                        My guess would be Bruiser.
                        Flint or Justus would be my guess.
                        John 3:3

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          I'd say Justus.
                          Philippians 4:11 & 4:13

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            I say anyone but Barbee...........

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Barbee couldn't anyway. Since he flipped spots with Jai Lucas he isn't going to be allowed to instruct the team. Per NCAA rule you can only have three coaches in that position: Flint, Justus, Lucas.

                              Robic and Barbee are non-instructional assistants.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                I would say Barbee has a job and a paycheck. Other than that, he's existing.
                                John 3:3

                                Comment

                                 

                                A Word From Our Founder

                                With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

                                Kenny Payne Thread (UPDATE: Knicks Hire Payne, UK Hires Flint and Lucas)

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X