Not Jerry Tipton Passed Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Jerry Tipton Passed Away

Justin Rowland shared on Twitter that Lee Stewart, the guy behind the Not Jerry Tipton Twitter account, has passed away. I haven’t seen any details, but it must’ve been sudden since he was tweeting within the last 24 hours.

Terrible. Had a wife and three girls. Prayers for his family. I loved his jokes

Comment

Awful news. I’m pretty sure he was tweeting regularly as of two or three days ago.

A Kentucky original.

Comment

Brutal news. 2020 sucks.

Comment

Matt Jones says Stewart died of a heart attack in his sleep.

Comment

UGH..He is the reason why I love twitter......RIP

Comment

UK announced today that they were going to name a media room after Lee Stewart, the man behind the NotJerryTipton account.

This is not going over great on social media. He could be funny, but he was also pretty controversial. I have no dog in the fight at all and liked his posts but I also remember him posting some things that were in the "I'm going to say this even though I know it'll make people mad because it's not PC" wheelhouse. Definitely not the worst I've ever seen but he was not an all-inclusive type on social media.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                UK announced today that they were going to name a media room after Lee Stewart, the man behind the NotJerryTipton account.

This is not going over great on social media. He could be funny, but he was also pretty controversial. I have no dog in the fight at all and liked his posts but I also remember him posting some things that were in the "I'm going to say this even though I know it'll make people mad because it's not PC" wheelhouse. Definitely not the worst I've ever seen but he was not an all-inclusive type on social media.
                This.

There was a swell of condolences when he passed, and UK probably saw that and moved on it. I don't think they did their due diligence on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

It isn't ok to like anyone for any reason if they don't pass a 100% purity test.
                  Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                  He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                  Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                  I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

It isn't ok to like anyone for any reason if they don't pass a 100% purity test.
                    That's not what we're saying.

Did you see some of the tweets that NotJerryTipton made, especially in the earlier years? I'm guessing UK wouldn't have been so quick to do this if they were aware.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

This is a little beyond liking anyone. They're going to name a room after him.

He posted on the Rivals board from time to time. Some of his posts there--where they were virtually (but not totally) hidden--were...rough. Not just NJT but a group of posters used to refer to blacks on that particular thread as "them."

Comment

Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post

That's not what we're saying.

Did you see some of the tweets that NotJerryTipton made, especially in the earlier years? I'm guessing UK wouldn't have been so quick to do this if they were aware.
                        I'm not saying that is your position. I'm saying that what anyone who is "backlashing" this is doing.

No, I have not seen his earlier or divisive tweets and I don't care about them. Every UK fan on twitter, knows him for being funny and fun in support of the Cats.

It's funny and fun to have the media room named after him. Unless he posted something truly egregious, his other thoughts and comments are irrelevant. There are all manner of famous people (and not so famous) people who believe damaging, divisive, or stupid stuff that we all happily overlook because we like one tiny sliver of their creative output.
                        Aspirational...

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                        I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

I've seen some of the tweets and while they were definitely ignorant I don't think that's a reason to not dedicate a room to him.

I think the reason to not dedicate a room to him is because his idea of humor was of the morning radio/lowest common denominator variety for the easily amused.

Comment

Naming a media room after a guy whose schtick was making fun of the media is a bit humorous.

NJT could be pretty offensive though. I saw him use homphobic slurs a bunch. If they were just private musings I'd agree with Spirit. I stopped following him after the first time but he still wound up on my timeline a bunch. Not sure he's the kind of guy UK should be honoring, even if he was heavily involved with the Alumni Association.
                            Last edited by Dwight Schrute; 09-21-2020, 09:41 AM.
                            Save sports: wear a darn mask

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                              Naming a media room after a guy whose schtick was making fun of the media is a bit humorous.
                              And surely irritating to Jerry Tipton.

Aspirational...

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Not Jerry Tipton Passed Away

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X