Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Thompson Dies

78 years old.

Saw an HBO documentary about Thompson a few years back. He had a profound impact on the players he coached. Very Cal-like in many ways.

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
    78 years old.

Saw an HBO documentary about Thompson a few years back. He had a profound impact on the players he coached. Very Cal-like in many ways.
    I would have guessed him older than that.
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're gonna feel all day. Frank Sinatra

Comment

Great coach. Despite what some may have thought, he suffered no garbage from players or fans. Not only demanded respect, he commanded it.

Rest in Peace, coach

Comment

Hate to hear it, Georgetown big men were hard working, talented players. Obviously had more than just the big guys, but that did seem to be the program’s forte.

Comment

Commanding presence. He earned respect. Praying for his family.
          John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
            Great coach. Despite what some may have thought, he suffered no garbage from players or fans. Not only demanded respect, he commanded it.
            A few years back I saw a documentary about Thompson on HBO. (It was actually part of their show Real Sports.)

It was fascinating to watch what sort of presence Thompson had over his players. One of the players was accused of stealing something and Thompson charges into the locker room and just goes crazy. You could see the fear in the players' eyes.

But they definitely loved him too. I think the mark of a great college coach is partly in his genius for the game but mostly it has to do with what kind of a connection he has with players. The deep, almost fatherly respect the players have for some of these coaches is one of the neatest things to watch about college sports. We're lucky to have both a football and basketball coach at UK who perfectly get this.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

A few years back I saw a documentary about Thompson on HBO. (It was actually part of their show Real Sports.)

It was fascinating to watch what sort of presence Thompson had over his players. One of the players was accused of stealing something and Thompson charges into the locker room and just goes crazy. You could see the fear in the players' eyes.

But they definitely loved him too. I think the mark of a great college coach is partly in his genius for the game but mostly it has to do with what kind of a connection he has with players. The deep, almost fatherly respect the players have for some of these coaches is one of the neatest things to watch about college sports. We're lucky to have both a football and basketball coach at UK who perfectly get this.
              I believe that is evident in all the sports at Kentucky, and UL too. This respect goes back to the AD's at both schools.
              John 3:3

Comment

RIP Coach Thompson

Comment

RIP to a class act. Was always a fan of him and the grit of his teams.......except for the debacle in the 1984 semis.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

John Thompson Dies

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X