Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Billy Donovan

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Billy Donovan

    No longer the coach of the Thunder. I’m sure he will land another NBA job soon.

  • #2
    Originally posted by justford View Post
    No longer the coach of the Thunder. I’m sure he will land another NBA job soon.
    He wasn't very good...
    Aspirational...

    Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
    He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
    Originally posted by Charlie Munger
    I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

    Comment


    • #3
      So glad we never got him. I am no expert tho I thought Gillespie was gonna be great. 😁

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Westtncat View Post
        So glad we never got him. I am no expert tho I thought Gillespie was gonna be great. 😁
        Me too.

        I still think he could’ve been but he would never have been able to consistently recruit here once word of his drill sergeant demeanor got out.

        To this day I’ve never witnessed anything as intense as a Gillispie practice.

        Comment


        • #5
          Both coaches had some oddities.

          Comment


          • #6
            Great coach, not being successful in NBA at one place doesn't change that. Players run NBA teams not coaches

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jload View Post
              Great coach, not being successful in NBA at one place doesn't change that. Players run NBA teams not coaches
              I used to think that and then I watched the Heat this year.

              Incredibly well-coached. They're just machine-like in the way they take teams apart with their strategy, especially defensively.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

                I used to think that and then I watched the Heat this year.

                Incredibly well-coached. They're just machine-like in the way they take teams apart with their strategy, especially defensively.
                The best teams are a collaborative effort between players and coaches. When the coaches are good and earn players respect, coaches run the team. When coaches suck and/or can't win buy-in, not so much.

                I used to not think much of Spoelstra, I was wrong.
                Aspirational...

                Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

                Comment


                • #9
                  Spoelstra is one of the great sports success stories. Started as the team's videographer.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Spoelstra was unlucky (or incredibly lucky) that his head coaching career started with LeBron. Everybody just assumed Bron was coaching those Heat teams, and Spo was essentially a placeholder.

                    In the years since, he has proven himself to be on the best head coaches in the NBA.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                      I still think he could’ve been
                      The glue ear is affecting your common sense.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post
                        Spoelstra was unlucky (or incredibly lucky) that his head coaching career started with LeBron. Everybody just assumed Bron was coaching those Heat teams, and Spo was essentially a placeholder.

                        In the years since, he has proven himself to be on the best head coaches in the NBA.
                        That was exactly my thinking. That he was a floor mat for LeBron, who helped organize practices and get the team out on the floor on time. (And maybe a grief counselor fall all the teammates LBJ might throw under the bus for his failures)
                        Aspirational...

                        Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                        He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                        Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                        I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post

                          The glue ear is affecting your common sense.
                          Well if not for "the demons" he could have been. Maybe not at Kentucky where you have to be much more than just a coach but at someplace off the radar. Without, you know, that whole off-the-charts wildness thing.

                          I still say my "The Billy G Era Has Begun" t-shirt was the best UK t I ever owned. Thing fit me like a glove. I'd still be wearing it today if I hadn't turned it into a rag to wash my car with after we lost that VMI game.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Speaking of relic apparel, I still have a Free Enes shirt.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              “Ushering In The Billy Gillispie Era”

                              Very tough, hard wearing t-shirt.

                              Comment

                               

                              A Word From Our Founder

                              With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

                              Billy Donovan

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X