Cal frustrated with fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal frustrated with fans

Kyle Tucker in an article in The Athletic says Cal claims he is very frustrated with UK fans. How much ego and denial must a coach have to go 8-14 at UK and complain about the fans. This is the worst season of basketball in 100 YEARS and he’s whining about our fans. I was excited when we hired Cal , for many reasons, one being I felt we finally had a coach that understood where he was. I believed Cal “got” it. Obviously that has changed if he thinks he can have a historic losing season here and get no criticism for it. Instead of taking thinly veiled shots at our fan base he ought to be talking about how he is going to stop losing his entire roster every season, how it’s time to make winning championships the #1 priority here again, how he is going to revamp his antiquated offensive style to reflect the modern game, how he is going to concentrate on coaching our players more than pushing trendy political agendas, I could go on but I will stop, because none of those things are going to happen. I can’t wait for the Cal era to be over, will happen in a spectacularly ugly fashion at end of next season IMO.

Have you read the article? I saw this on another board, but the quote wasn’t there.

I would definitely like to see it for context but unfortunately it’s under a paywall

Comment

The only thing that will satisfy this fan is if when Cal leaves we would hire Jay Wright, Chris Beard, or Brad Stevens. No particular order.
      Isaiah 5:20

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Heaven View Post
        The only thing that will satisfy this fan is if when Cal leaves we would hire Jay Wright, Chris Beard, or Brad Stevens. No particular order.
        The first time Chris Beard plays what resembles TubbyBall fans will be ready to run him out of town just as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jload View Post
          Kyle Tucker in an article in The Athletic says Cal claims he is very frustrated with UK fans. How much ego and denial must a coach have to go 8-14 at UK and complain about the fans. This is the worst season of basketball in 100 YEARS and he’s whining about our fans. I was excited when we hired Cal , for many reasons, one being I felt we finally had a coach that understood where he was. I believed Cal “got” it. Obviously that has changed if he thinks he can have a historic losing season here and get no criticism for it. Instead of taking thinly veiled shots at our fan base he ought to be talking about how he is going to stop losing his entire roster every season, how it’s time to make winning championships the #1 priority here again, how he is going to revamp his antiquated offensive style to reflect the modern game, how he is going to concentrate on coaching our players more than pushing trendy political agendas, I could go on but I will stop, because none of those things are going to happen. I can’t wait for the Cal era to be over, will happen in a spectacularly ugly fashion at end of next season IMO.
          Almost Jload but Basil Hayden led us to a whopping 3-13 season in 1926-27 so it's not quite the worst season in the last 100 years.

Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood

Comment

I got to the point where I don't listen to Cal anymore.....
            Last edited by TrueblueCATfan; 03-02-2021, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TrueblueCATfan View Post
              I haven't got to the point I don't listen to Cal anymore.....
              I haven't not neither done it yet
              Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.

Clint Eastwood

Comment

What is he frustrated about specifically? Depending on what fan action he is talking about he might have a point.
                Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

I haven't read the article Jload is talking about but looking at it right now, the fans are right to be all over Cal. Given the money he makes and what we thought this season was going to be, and adding in our sudden Final Four drought, to be 5 games under .500 is a failure any way you look at it.

Now if we flash forward two weeks and he's got us in the NCAA Tournament maybe things look a little different, but the fact remains there are hard questions about Kentucky basketball that have to be asked. We certainly asked them with Gillispie and Tubby at the end of their tenures, and Cal (right now) is performing worse than those two ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post
                    What is he frustrated about specifically? Depending on what fan action he is talking about he might have a point.
                    Could be the kneeling during the National Anthem thing.

Kentucky fans went crazy with that but I'm sure Cal knew it was coming. My dad always said you can't whine about something you knew was going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Could be the kneeling during the National Anthem thing.

Kentucky fans went crazy with that but I'm sure Cal knew it was coming. My dad always said you can't whine about something you knew was going to happen.
                      I mean, if he thinks fans shouldn't be expecting him to answer questions in a non-lying, coherent fashion, he can go pound sand.

If he is frustrated with the degree of personal criticism being leveled at the players... that seems something he should take issue with.
                      Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                      He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                      Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                      I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

^ He's gotten himself to a point where he has "talked himself into a corner". Nearly anything he says is getting reamed.

He probably is burned out with the thing as a whole and if not for the fresh contract, I think he'd leave after this season.

Comment

I tend to think he was burned out three or four years ago. I believe that may be why we've seen diminished results on the recruiting trail. I said this before but in his Big Blue Madness speech last year he said something like, "Some people think I'm burned out...but I'm not!" When you have to say you aren't burned out that isn't good.

He did find a gem in Jackson but overall, he's had trouble finding that magic he had early on. I believe that might cut back to just hitting a wall, which was inevitable with Cal. There was a time seven or eight years ago where every sporting event you'd turn on, there he would be. How could he not burn out?

The problem with burn-out at Kentucky is that the program will devour you. You have to be on top of it all the time. It's clear Cal isn't, from recruiting, to PR, to just in-game management...he's really struggled.

Comment

Another interesting subplot is that Brad Stevens is likely to be available after this season. Stevens is flailing.

So if Cal is going to make a jump I hope he does it in time to not sabotage us.

Comment

I have a subscription to the Athletic. If someone can send a link to the article I'll look at it. But I searched on there and I don't see anything from Tucker that says this.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Cal frustrated with fans

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X