Kentucky vs. Duke: Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Stronger maybe. In fairness we got to the basket all night.

The reason our two-point defense was so bad is because we can't guard ball screens right now and we don't have that rim protector to clean up the mistakes once they happen. You've got to have great communication on those things and obviously we didn't have it. Tshiebwe, TyTy, and Grady all broke apart on several crucial possessions, which left their man careening downhill toward the basket one on one--nearly impossible to guard at this level.

Coach K made a good coaching adjustment to start with the ball screen on the side in the second half. Took a game where we were up one and basically won it. They ball screened us to death.
    Yeah but it really felt like they just altered our shots all night. Oscar did alter shots of his own but they just made us pay a whole bunch.

Comment

The ball screen stuff was meant to put them in one on ones with Tshiebwe. That's an impossible situation for him. One he can't foul because we can't afford to lose him, but two he's down there one on one against an offensive player playing downhill right at him.

I want to say they ran "good stuff" but in all honesty, we didn't play defense for crap all night. I didn't expect us to. We'd looked horrendous defensively in the exhibitions.

Comment

Originally posted by KCKUKFan View Post

This is what you took from that game?

YEP. That is one thing I took away from the game. It's more of the constant hype BS from Cal and the media about the great recruiting classes that they keep getting yet I watch other freshmen dominate the ones on UK over the last what, 3-5 years... I think TyTy has the talent and will be fine as he learns the game at this level. Collins to me looks long but looks to me like he's another AAU showcase super freak that doesn't translate well to the college game or at least under Cal but again, it's early. And as mentioned by someone, no other freshman besides TyTy got significant minutes.

If these freshmen are so great - why am I watching Brooks, Ware, Toppin, Mintz (which I'm ok with) on the floor so much. If these are the 4 we have to rely on often, then it's going to be another long season. When is Cal getting a freshman like Keels & Banchero. Both of those guys look 3 times as good as any of our freshman. Banchero plays all year like he did last night, he'll probably be a top 3 pick easily.

So yeah, I did take that away from the game last night.

Comment

Originally posted by TrueblueCATfan View Post
          Unless I am blind and Didn't see him out there....Why didn't Allen play last night

I love Wheeler and Oscar
          Because Allen isn't going to play much on this team.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post

YEP. That is one thing I took away from the game. It's more of the constant hype BS from Cal and the media about the great recruiting classes that they keep getting yet I watch other freshmen dominate the ones on UK over the last what, 3-5 years... I think TyTy has the talent and will be fine as he learns the game at this level. Collins to me looks long but looks to me like he's another AAU showcase super freak that doesn't translate well to the college game or at least under Cal but again, it's early. And as mentioned by someone, no other freshman besides TyTy got significant minutes.

If these freshmen are so great - why am I watching Brooks, Ware, Toppin, Mintz (which I'm ok with) on the floor so much. If these are the 4 we have to rely on often, then it's going to be another long season. When is Cal getting a freshman like Keels & Banchero. Both of those guys look 3 times as good as any of our freshman. Banchero plays all year like he did last night, he'll probably be a top 3 pick easily.

So yeah, I did take that away from the game last night.
            I don't think the freshmen class was really what this team was built around. The selling points on this team are the transfers and how old they are. I haven't heard a whole lot about the great class because I think most recognized that--outside of TyTy--it was more of a work-in-progress group than some of Cal's other teams. And TyTy himself looked like a work in progress last night obviously.

I do think we haven't heard from Hopkins yet. I think he should've played more. He's good. I just think it'll be a learning curve for him as he tries to figure out where he fits and how he needs to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I don't think the freshmen class was really what this team was built around. The selling points on this team are the transfers and how old they are. I haven't heard a whole lot about the great class because I think most recognized that--outside of TyTy--it was more of a work-in-progress group than some of Cal's other teams. And TyTy himself looked like a work in progress last night obviously.

I do think we haven't heard from Hopkins yet. I think he should've played more. He's good. I just think it'll be a learning curve for him as he tries to figure out where he fits and how he needs to play.

Every year, it's the great recruiting class garbage... But, I do agree w/you in that this year, transfers are a big part of this team. I knew Wheeler was going to end up playing over Mintz. He's a 1 on 1 nightmare but he's got to settle down as the season goes some. Knew what Tshiebwe was about and what he would bring. He's a great rebounder, physical, strong but very limited offensively. The screen & roll lob play is there all day and should be ran 4-5 times a night with those two.

I like Hopkins as well. I like TyTy and Collins... I'm just tired of watching the year in and year out "Heralded Freshman Class" come in and look absolutely lost while all of these other freshman are making massive impacts. These transfers and freshman have to play and play well because I don't think we can expect a massive turnaround with the returning players. They have to be more spot up role players in order for this team to move forward. Brooks is worse now than he was as a freshman. I always thought he would turn into a solid player, now I'm not so sure. I often compared him to Poythress as well. I would rather have Poythress. Toppin - nah. Ware - just a banger role player which I like. Mintz I like and think he needs to be out there. Allen - nah.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                Toppin - nah.
                I like Toppin quite a bit. Thought he was one of the biggest surprises last year.

Last night he's in a tough spot. He's guarding arguably the best young player in the world and the way they're running this offense right now, the 4 spot is kind of forgotten a lot of times. They put Brooks in some stuff last night (it ended disastrously), but Toppin was getting nothing run for him and was having to just hold the line out there.

IMO this team goes nowhere without Toppin. I think he has arguably the most upside of anybody we've got with the exception of TyTy.

Comment

Cal's system absolutely works when he has Tier 1 stud freshmen. Where it falls apart is when you don't get those guys, as has mostly been the case the past few years, with the exception being the Fox and Monk year.

Next year he's got 2 top 5 guys coming in and another one in the top 10. There are other concerns next year, but it's absolutely going to be the case that 2 guys coming in are just elite players in the class.

Comment

I thought Toppin did a good job on Banchero, at least as good as you can.

Comment

• I should rephrase. I like Toppin overall. I do think he's very athletic but he gets lost defensively, lacks in size, and often, if he doesn't get some shots down the court, we'll he's going to find a shot to throw up. I do think he has some upside but I don't think he is the difference maker on a team. I think he falls into a role player type. Just my opinion. I hope as always, they prove me wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ratt View Post

Every year, it's the great recruiting class garbage... But, I do agree w/you in that this year, transfers are a big part of this team. I knew Wheeler was going to end up playing over Mintz. He's a 1 on 1 nightmare but he's got to settle down as the season goes some. Knew what Tshiebwe was about and what he would bring. He's a great rebounder, physical, strong but very limited offensively. The screen & roll lob play is there all day and should be ran 4-5 times a night with those two.

I like Hopkins as well. I like TyTy and Collins... I'm just tired of watching the year in and year out "Heralded Freshman Class" come in and look absolutely lost while all of these other freshman are making massive impacts. These transfers and freshman have to play and play well because I don't think we can expect a massive turnaround with the returning players. They have to be more spot up role players in order for this team to move forward. Brooks is worse now than he was as a freshman. I always thought he would turn into a solid player, now I'm not so sure. I often compared him to Poythress as well. I would rather have Poythress. Toppin - nah. Ware - just a banger role player which I like. Mintz I like and think he needs to be out there. Allen - nah.
                        I do believe next year's frosh (plus one or two BIG transfers) will be very special.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCBlu View Post

I do believe next year's frosh (plus one or two BIG transfers) will be very special.
                          Not holding my breath until I see it. I'm done with all of the hype train.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

Because they're bigger than we were and could get to the basket much easier.
                            ahhh... remember the days when we use to have dominant front court

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                              The ball screen stuff was meant to put them in one on ones with Tshiebwe. That's an impossible situation for him. One he can't foul because we can't afford to lose him, but two he's down there one on one against an offensive player playing downhill right at him.

I want to say they ran "good stuff" but in all honesty, we didn't play defense for crap all night. I didn't expect us to. We'd looked horrendous defensively in the exhibitions.
                              I know this is a mute point but engage me in this hypothetical, want your opinion: we have Big O and Kofi in the front court, how you think this game turns out?

Comment

• Originally posted by 85 Fly View Post

I know this is a mute point but engage me in this hypothetical, want your opinion: we have Big O and Kofi in the front court, how you think this game turns out?
                                I just don’t see how you could play those two guys together. And neither would settle for backup minutes so I’m not sure how that would have worked.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Kentucky vs. Duke: Game Thread

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X