Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official “Who’s On Our Team?” Thread (UPDATE: Oscar In, Shaedon Out)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It’s “Fix It or Leave” time for Cal. Final Four or hit the door.

Comment

• The transfer portal situation is ravaging college basketball in general, not just Kentucky, but it is a shame to see Bryce moving on.

Comment

• Can't wait to see Cal's tweet saying how great he was to coach and that he sat down with him and his family and it seems this is the best decision for him, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

• Cal is still in hiding for the most part.
          John 3:3

Comment

• Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post
            It’s “Fix It or Leave” time for Cal.
            This mess can't be fixed without a coaching change.

Comment

• While not surprising, it’s still aggravating now that Hopkins is officially transferring.

Losing players at 3 levels (or is it 4 now?) is going to be the death knell of this era.

Comment

Not surprising, but not good. Could’ve been a very good sophomore.
                This is one is a real problem.
                Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

• Originally posted by Catgrad7072 View Post

This mess can't be fixed without a coaching change.
                  This mess can't be fixed without the NCAA changing the transfer rule back*

There... I FIFY.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm not sure this can really be laid at Cal's feet. This is a phenomenon that's happening everywhere.

Nor do I think Hopkins needed to play any more than he did. Kid was kind of a gun. And he was overweight. I never was overly impressed with him...but you did see a foundation for a solid player down the road. He has a nice skillset.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                      Yeah, I'm not sure this can really be laid at Cal's feet.
                      Did we not spend years before the portal era bemoaning our constant roster turnover? Much of which was attributed to transfers?

Comment

Did we not spend years before the portal era bemoaning our constant roster turnover? Much of which was attributed to transfers?
                        Cal didn't have a whole lot of transfers until recently. (They were all going pro.) Seems like it really started with Jemarl Baker and on through Johnny Juzang and into the last couple years.

I assumed Hopkins would transfer all year long. We weren't keeping both him and Collins, and Collins fits the Cal mold so much more. I just think this is a nationwide phenomenon that no coach has really been able to stop.

If I'm going to rake Cal for something then it's gonna be something that another coach could improve. If he left and we hired another guy we'd be sitting here in April 2023 bemoaning transfers. Inevitable.

Comment

• Sure it’s happening everywhere. Why wouldn’t every single kid reevaluate the best place for himself/herself to be after each season if there’s no penalty for moving?

But at any bball royalty school if you’re not working the portal for a net gain each year then that would fall squarely at the HC’s feet. So far Cal has accomplished that. But it may be getting less clearly so. For example Juzang did more for UCLA than Grady did for UK. We’ll be losing several, Cal better sign some studs. Going to be tough already to keep up with Arkansas’ studs. Hope we’re competitive with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Catsrock View Post
                            Sure it’s happening everywhere. Why wouldn’t every single kid reevaluate the best place for himself/herself to be after each season if there’s no penalty for moving?

But at any bball royalty school if you’re not working the portal for a net gain each year then that would fall squarely at the HC’s feet. So far Cal has accomplished that. But it may be getting less clearly so. For example Juzang did more for UCLA than Grady did for UK.
                            Well, Oscar kind of offsets this.

But Juzang is a weird case. He was absolutely a better player for UCLA...but he was outstanding in the tournament last year. Grady was pretty dang good for us but fell apart in the tournament.

Impossible to say if that's Grady's problem or Cal's or a combination of both. But whatever the case Grady just collapsed. I don't think that's an indictment on taking transfers as much as it suggests something went on with him late in the year that made him just fall apart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Well, Oscar kind of offsets this.

But Juzang is a weird case. He was absolutely a better player for UCLA...but he was outstanding in the tournament last year. Grady was pretty dang good for us but fell apart in the tournament.

Impossible to say if that's Grady's problem or Cal's or a combination of both. But whatever the case Grady just collapsed. I don't think that's an indictment on taking transfers as much as it suggests something went on with him late in the year that made him just fall apart.
                              Oscar, obviously. Frederick, hopefully will do well. But my point with Juzang, and now Hopkins is that we’re not just losing Dontae Allens here. We’re losing quality. And therefore Cal better do more than compensate for the losses. Otherwise we’ll be hearing a whole lot next year about how we lost because we’re so darn young and other garbage excuses from Cal that are of his own making. I have dreams of getting to the round of 32 and hope Cal assembles a group that can drag him there with virtually no coaching.

Comment

• It also should be said that Hopkins, the latest example, shows that we’re missing on the recruiting trail. He essentially was a wasted scholly because he didn’t stay long enough to fit into the program and contribute, taking up a spot in the process. That’s the fault of the staff for repeatedly recruiting people that don’t fit the program. They’re missing too often on the HS eval front.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The Official “Who’s On Our Team?” Thread (UPDATE: Oscar In, Shaedon Out)

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X