Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official “Who’s On Our Team?” Thread (UPDATE: Oscar In, Shaedon Out)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by justford View Post
    I don’t believe there is another program in the country that would have allowed a player like Sharpe to join the team and not play him. Should have been understood by all involved once the player could contribute he was playing. Since the fan’s aren’t privy to all the facts, we will never know.
    Probably Memphis and Duke. Though, ironically, Memphis did everything they could to play Wiseman, and it's gonna burn them.

Honestly it reminds me a little of the Kyrie Irving situation.

Comment

• In other news, Armando Bacot is returning to North Carolina, because of course he is.

Comment

• Pilgrim is mostly useless, but he’s right about this: https://twitter.com/jackpilgrimksr/s...op3Ya4UMPVFJRA

Comment

• Any NBA mock draft experts on the forum? If so how credible is nbadraft.net? Their 4/12 mock draft shows Ty Ty at 9th and Sharpe down to 15th. If this is valid, there may be a chance Sharpe would actually play for UK next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Los Gatos View Post
            Any NBA mock draft experts on the forum? If so how credible is nbadraft.net? Their 4/12 mock draft shows Ty Ty at 9th and Sharpe down to 15th. If this is valid, there may be a chance Sharpe would actually play for UK next year.
            I find it hard to trust any of those sites, they are so different when you compare them all. Most say that they are going off current team needs, blah, blah, blah. I don't put a lot of faith in them until it gets much closer to the draft and workouts have taken place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Los Gatos View Post
              Any NBA mock draft experts on the forum? If so how credible is nbadraft.net? Their 4/12 mock draft shows Ty Ty at 9th and Sharpe down to 15th. If this is valid, there may be a chance Sharpe would actually play for UK next year.
              I've never thought Sharpe would play one second at UK and have so stated, on here, on numerous occasions. I still stand by that belief.
              "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• When it became clear to Cal that Sharpe wasn't going to play, Cal should have invited him to leave.

Comment

• Originally posted by samsdad View Post
                  When it became clear to Cal that Sharpe wasn't going to play, Cal should have invited him to leave.
                  Right, but then Sharpe wouldn't be counted as a feather in Cal's NBA hat.

Comment

• From what I understand, the decision to not to play was made by Sharpe. That doesn’t excuse Cal in this because he shouldn’t have allowed it, but Sharpe appears to have used UK in a way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post

I've never thought Sharpe would play one second at UK and have so stated, on here, on numerous occasions. I still stand by that belief.
                      I thought there was a chance. The NIL has changed the landscape...but not for the phenoms. Where the NIL changes it is for players like Oscar and North Carolina's Bacot: guys who are just very good college players.

At the beginning I don't think anybody thought Sharpe would be NBA eligible. As I understand it the verdict is not 100% on that still.

I'm in the minority but I have no hard thoughts on Sharpe either way. I see the argument that he used UK and I see the argument that he was a gamble Cal had to take.

In all honesty we've been an NBA factory since Cal came here. And ironically we're better when we get those NBA-caliber players. That's when we've had the most success. All those guys are "using" UK to an extent, but so many of them played their butts off for us. So I'm kind of neutral on the whole thing just in terms of how ugly it is.

I do worry big-time about how Kentucky is going to replace Sharpe. If he's as good as advertised there obviously will be no replacement out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I thought there was a chance. The NIL has changed the landscape...but not for the phenoms. Where the NIL changes it is for players like Oscar and North Carolina's Bacot: guys who are just very good college players.

At the beginning I don't think anybody thought Sharpe would be NBA eligible. As I understand it the verdict is not 100% on that still.

I'm in the minority but I have no hard thoughts on Sharpe either way. I see the argument that he used UK and I see the argument that he was a gamble Cal had to take.

In all honesty we've been an NBA factory since Cal came here. And ironically we're better when we get those NBA-caliber players. That's when we've had the most success. All those guys are "using" UK to an extent, but so many of them played their butts off for us. So I'm kind of neutral on the whole thing just in terms of how ugly it is.

I do worry big-time about how Kentucky is going to replace Sharpe. If he's as good as advertised there obviously will be no replacement out there.
                        We are an NBA factory, but Cal is paid to win games at a Kentucky level. If we're JUST an NBA factory then Cal is not holding up his end of the bargain. Further, I do not believe this was a gamble Cal had to take. They knew he was eligible for this year's NBA draft when they agreed to let him enroll in January, and they had to know he'd be projected in the lottery because even WE all knew that.

If the choice is "you either enroll or you go to the G-League" then they should've told him to explore other options so they could find a backup.

*If he does play next year I'll gladly eat my words

Comment

• Cal has backed off of several G-league players in the past.

This suggests he (1) didn't know Sharpe would be eligible for the draft (doubtful). Or (2) he took Sharpe's family at its word that Sharpe wanted to sit a half year and play a full year. OR (3) he just didn't care and liked the idea of having Sharpe in there for some reason--either to help Sharpe or to be able to claim another NBA phenom in the future (or both).

Not sure which one of those it is but the fact that Cal has passed on some dubious players before means it probably isn't (3). I think it's likely (2): the family did tell him that the kid wanted to practice a half year and then play in his second season and Cal believed them...even if he thought there was always a possibility that he would bolt. Cal will roll the dice on players, as we've seen. Enes Kanter and Hami Diallo both come to mind.

Comment

• Enes was a different case because Cal thought he'd be eligible, or at least thought he'd have a good shot at it. I have no problem with that gamble at all.

I won't say that kids lie but Cal had to have known that even the rosiest of NIL deals pale in comparison to the real money of the NBA.

Comment

• You can’t say no to taking Sharpe if you’re Cal. You turn him down and he doesn’t go pro, the number one player is playing for a different school.

Most likely scenario is the Sharpe’s plans changed after the fact. He could’ve gone the pro route from the jump if his intentions were always to enter the draft.

Comment

• Fardaws Aimaq, the Utah Valley center who put up Oscar-like numbers this past season, has eliminated Kentucky as a transfer possibility.

More hints that Oscar might be coming back.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The Official “Who’s On Our Team?” Thread (UPDATE: Oscar In, Shaedon Out)

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X