Sports Ticker

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official “Who’s On Our Team?” Thread (UPDATE: Oscar In, Shaedon Out)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

No one should be allowed to negotiate an NIL deal until they’ve chosen a school. Schools should be allowed to help players see their NIL potential, but signing with a program because you’ve been offered a contract or promise of some kind seems like a bridge too far.
    It’s technically illegal - it’s pay for play - but the NCAA isn’t gonna do anything about it.

I have no idea how you police it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

This is the best news I've heard in a long time. If he wants a more focal role, welcome to a DII school.
      Not true at all.

Very good player. Just hugely inconsistent. I bet he has a great senior season, maybe not as a star but a very good #3 guy for somebody.

All that said, we definitely got the player with the most upside (Toppin).

One thing however we don’t talk about with Toppin: he was hugely inconsistent too. He had some wickedly bad games. Only thing about him is that he brings a whole lot more energy than Brooks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Not true at all.

Very good player. Just hugely inconsistent. I bet he has a great senior season, maybe not as a star but a very good #3 guy for somebody.

One thing however we don’t talk about with Toppin: he was hugely inconsistent too. He had some wickedly bad games. Only thing about him is that he brings a whole lot more energy than Brooks.
        Toppin has all the talent in the world, all he has to do is mature and focus. And I've heard he is doing that. He'll be super productive if he can stay healthy and get 27+ mins. His athletic ability is elite, when his energy matches it, he's scary.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilproUK98 View Post

Toppin has all the talent in the world, all he has to do is mature and focus. And I've heard he is doing that. He'll be super productive if he can stay healthy and get 27+ mins. His athletic ability is elite, when his energy matches it, he's scary.
          Seems like the main thing he needs to do is improve his ballhandling. Struggles a little when he needs to put it on the floor.

Comment

• Kyle Tucker suggests Baylor Scheierman has eliminated Kentucky.

Seems increasingly that kids don’t want to play Cal’s style.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
              Kyle Tucker suggests Baylor Scheierman has eliminated Kentucky.

Seems increasingly that kids don’t want to play Cal’s style.
              Interesting that Tucker says Scheierman and his people didn't want to be a Kellan Grady type at UK. It's wild that for 3/4 of the season Grady was awesome for UK and now he's used as an example of a bust.

The only good thing I can see about Scheierman going to another school is that we don't have to check Google forty times so we can spell his name right every time we post next season.

Comment

• As an aside, I saw where Bruce Pearl landed Johni Broome.
                "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Not true at all.

Maybe not DII, But I doubt a power 5 school. Usually a very good player can dribble, pass, shoot and will fight for a rebound. Brooks doesn't do any very well, and as mentioned is inconsistent.
                  John 3:3

Comment

• Brooks hit midrange jumpers all year. He can definitely shoot. It’s the best and most consistent thing he brings to the table tbh.

Comment

• I don’t foresee it happening, but Brooks could still return to UK.

Comment

Brooks hit midrange jumpers all year. He can definitely shoot. It’s the best and most consistent thing he brings to the table tbh.
                        I grew to not mind the constant 10-18 foot jumpers, although I think he did tend to take some at terrible times. His b-ball IQ is still extremely low after 3 yrs at UK. He would make so many "almost plays" he would lose loose balls and rebounds that were crucial, he would make some really bad turnovers and charges and miss a lot of and 1 opportunities he probably would make with just 10% more concentration and focus on completing the play. I cringed everytime he put it in the floor and tried to drive into the paint from the elbow, because he either walked, charged, or got it stripped probably 4/5 times. Just so frustrating because he has potential but just couldn't consistently make the game winning plays and still tended to disappear for whole halves and strings of games. All the more mind boggling that Cal went with Keion and sat Toppin after the first halves they each had against St Peter's. Then Cal basically admitted he should of played Jacob more and pretty much forgot he existed lol

Comment

I grew to not mind the constant 10-18 foot jumpers, although I think he did tend to take some at terrible times. His b-ball IQ is still extremely low after 3 yrs at UK. He would make so many "almost plays" he would lose loose balls and rebounds that were crucial, he would make some really bad turnovers and charges and miss a lot of and 1 opportunities he probably would make with just 10% more concentration and focus on completing the play. I cringed everytime he put it in the floor and tried to drive into the paint from the elbow, because he either walked, charged, or got it stripped probably 4/5 times. Just so frustrating because he has potential but just couldn't consistently make the game winning plays and still tended to disappear for whole halves and strings of games. All the more mind boggling that Cal went with Keion and sat Toppin after the first halves they each had against St Peter's. Then Cal basically admitted he should of played Jacob more and pretty much forgot he existed lol
                          Agree with all this.

But it was clear those midrange shots were by design. I.e. part of the offense.

My point though was that Brooks *can* shoot. There are definitely things about him that are worthy of criticism but I don’t necessarily think shooting is one. In fact if Toppin is the starting PF next season I’ll definitely be happy because he’s a better player than Keion Brooks. But there will undoubtedly be a lot of consternation throughout the season about what a bad shooter he is.

Comment

I didn't mind the 10-16 foot jumpers. I was the ones three inches inside the three point line that upset me. Early in the season he was shooting way too many of these, one is too many. Although he did curtail it later in the season.

Comment

• Zan Payne enters the portal. Wonder where he's headed?? 🤔

Comment

• I'm waiting for McGruff to enter the portal.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The Official “Who’s On Our Team?” Thread (UPDATE: Oscar In, Shaedon Out)

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X