Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official “Who’s On Our Team?” Thread (UPDATE: Oscar In, Shaedon Out)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Catgrad7072 View Post
    NIL opportunities would seem to be a legitimate discussion point between recruit and coach.

However, IMO, NIL opportunities are earned through factors such as performance at the new school (see Oscar), fan popularity (see Oscar again) and community involvement (see Oscar for this comment's hat-trick).

It's sad that recruits now want a guaranteed NIL amount before they make a decision. It's also sad that coaches would be forced to make such a guarantee to seal a deal.

Ya know, 'earned not given'. At least that's the way it ought to be.
    Looking at it as a side door for pay-for-play no different than an emery envelope full of cash and it makes more sense. It's the world we live in now unfortunately, and until Congress steps in and provides some guardrails, it's basically the wild west.

I think longterm it's going to be bad for the sport - I think it and the transfer portal are going to drive out a lot of coaches from the sport who make their money and get out. Seems like it's a strong possibility it contributed to Jay Wright retiring, and it'll probably lead to more until an actual program is created.

Comment

• NIL money to a none and done happened so anything is possible. Might just be easier for all concerned to let the players join the NBA right out of high school.
      Last edited by justford; 05-02-2022, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by justford View Post
        NIL money to a none and done happened so anything is possible. Might just be easier for all concerned to let the players to join the NBA right out of high school.
        I agree that would solve the Sharpe situations, at least until they start flooding the NBA and the pendulum swings back towards college.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
          Matt Jones is saying Kentucky could add point guard Adou Thiero, who's discussed above.

Relatively unknown player but he's big. I saw a couple weeks back that Indiana really wants him.
          He's too raw for me...is this Cal doing one of his former players "a solid"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Oh, and Scheierman also says he wants to stay in the Draft. College is a fallback.
            I know he's from Nebraska but I'm REALLY surprised he took KU off his list even if college is a "fallback".

Comment

• Originally posted by 85 Fly View Post

He's too raw for me...is this Cal doing one of his former players "a solid"?
              I think it might be them looking out over the landscape for a back-up point guard who might be able to play very, very limited minutes.

The only intriguing thing about this guy is his size. He might be somebody who could play a little for UK down the road (if he stays, and that's always in question at UK).

Comment

• At least right now, NIL HAS TO be a part of the discussion with every single player. Not sure what the heck Cal is talking about. Get with it, man

Comment

• Originally posted by lilproUK98 View Post
                  At least right now, NIL HAS TO be a part of the discussion with every single player. Not sure what the heck Cal is talking about. Get with it, man
                  It's such a nonsensical POV. The guy who marketed THE ENTIRE PROGRAM AS A MEANS OF GETTING TO THE NBA THE QUICKEST is upset that some transfers might want to take advantage of the same opportunities of the program? Succeed and proceed unless you are someone transferring in.

Sounds like a great plan to make sure you never get the next Oscar or Kellan Grady.

Comment

• I saw where Cal is meeting with Barnhart this week. One of the things to be discussed, according to Cal, is facility upgrades for the bb team.
                    "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
                      I saw where Cal is meeting with Barnhart this week. One of the things to be discussed, according to Cal, is facility upgrades for the bb team.
                      Probably saw Stoops demand a new indoor facility and wants in on the action.

I'm old enough to remember Tubby blaming the facilities too.

Comment

• Coach Cal this morning said this morning we might have 9-11 players on scholarship.
                        Wow. Injuries would be ruin of the team. 13 scholarships should use at least 12 of them
                        and develop the bench, they are on the team for a reason.

Comment

• https://www.nationofblue.com/shaedon...noiu2Rr7ryGzU0

Now Cal can say he coached the kid with the highest vertical too.

Comment

• Originally posted by sfleming View Post
                            Coach Cal this morning said this morning we might have 9-11 players on scholarship.
                            Wow. Injuries would be ruin of the team. 13 scholarships should use at least 12 of them
                            and develop the bench, they are on the team for a reason.
                            This is probably an under-discussed problem with Cal forever. In my view, it's inexcusable to not use every slot.
                            Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                            He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                            Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                            I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiritof96 View Post

This is probably an under-discussed problem with Cal forever. In my view, it's inexcusable to not use every slot.
                              I've discussed it every chance I get. There is a world where playing 6-7 guys gets it done. If they're are the perfect players that play perfectly together. A la 2012. But most teams don't have that level of cohesive overwhelming talent. In that case you need options, and options that have been used and are developed over the course of the season. I will die on this hill.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post

It's such a nonsensical POV. The guy who marketed THE ENTIRE PROGRAM AS A MEANS OF GETTING TO THE NBA THE QUICKEST is upset that some transfers might want to take advantage of the same opportunities of the program? Succeed and proceed unless you are someone transferring in.

Sounds like a great plan to make sure you never get the next Oscar or Kellan Grady.
                                This explains it well. Either get on the NIL bus or get run over by it.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/0...aws-recruiting

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220502-202328.png
Views:	125
Size:	671.7 KB
ID:	288505

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The Official “Who’s On Our Team?” Thread (UPDATE: Oscar In, Shaedon Out)

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X