Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official “Who’s On Our Team?” Thread (UPDATE: Oscar In, Shaedon Out)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sfleming View Post
    Coach Cal this morning said this morning we might have 9-11 players on scholarship.
    Wow. Injuries would be ruin of the team. 13 scholarships should use at least 12 of them
    and develop the bench, they are on the team for a reason.
    I don't agree necessarily with using 12 players. Unless you're talking blowout wins/losses or something. Cal's best teams generally play 6 or 7 and I think that's generally true everywhere.

Depth is overrated in college basketball.

However 9 scholarship players is not enough. It looks like the freshman point guard will be 10 and I really hope he brings in at least one more. 11 scholarships is okay. People talk about injuries but almost nobody gets around serious injuries in college basketball. Doesn't matter how deep they are, you just can't patch injuries in this sport if they're injuries to key players.

Kentucky fans have clamored for as long as I've been around these boards (more than two decades) about coaches (Tubby and Cal) playing everybody. You don't need to do that in this game. The games aren't long enough. Think back to early last year where he was trying to play Hopkins, Collins, Allen--everybody we had, basically. We were awful. The best teams in the game are those that have a really strong 6 or 7 and then the coach cuts it.

Comment

• Baylor Schiereman commits to Creighton.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
        Baylor Schiereman accepts NIL offer from Creighton.
        Didn't realize the BlueJays cared that much about basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by lilproUK98 View Post

This explains it well. Either get on the NIL bus or get run over by it.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/0...aws-recruiting

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220502-202328.png
Views:	125
Size:	671.7 KB
ID:	288505
          Yeah I agree. Whatever my opinion is of it, it's the law of the land right now and you either embrace it or get left behind.

Comment

Baylor Schiereman commits to Creighton.
            Interesting choice being that he said he wanted to go somewhere that he could showcase his talents more.

Comment

• Thomas Beisner tweets that Kentucky will never offer anybody money as an "inducement" to come to Kentucky because Kentucky doesn't need to do that. He goes on to say that UK has never lost out on anybody because of that.

Obviously a response to Schiereman's commitment and the scuttlebutt that UK wouldn't play the NIL game with his agent.

Comment

Thomas Beisner tweets that Kentucky will never offer anybody money as an "inducement" to come to Kentucky because Kentucky doesn't need to do that. He goes on to say that UK has never lost out on anybody because of that.

Obviously a response to Schiereman's commitment and the scuttlebutt that UK wouldn't play the NIL game with his agent.
                Right before that, Matt Jones went in on it to the point that it almost sounded like a response to KSR.

Comment

• You can read all this as Cal being fine with bargaining with players/families when it was blue chippers, but he bristles at the fact that now little old transfers are setting the ground rules and making demands of him.

The Godfather don't like being pushed around by little peon "basketball players." Celebrities-in-waiting, though, are a-ok. He's never had any problem throwing the kitchen sink at those types.

Comment

• ^ That's so accurate

Comment

You can read all this as Cal being fine with bargaining with players/families when it was blue chippers, but he bristles at the fact that now little old transfers are setting the ground rules and making demands of him.

The Godfather don't like being pushed around by little peon "basketball players." Celebrities-in-waiting, though, are a-ok. He's never had any problem throwing the kitchen sink at those types.
                      Kind of the same as the way Cal only advocates for players whose ceiling he deems to be high. If you're a kid with marginal prospects beyond UK, you kiss his ring.

Those blue chippers he is cool with the demands because he benefits when they go on to the NBA and get contracts and looks good on him. When Baylor Scheierman demands a car and has a future with the Fort Wayne Pissants, it's a different matter altogether.

Comment

• Whether or not we've lost out by not playing the NIL game is debatable (Schiereman). If we haven't you can bet your bottom dollar we will. There is going to be times where these players will go with whomever throws the most money at them. I guess Cal's never heard the old saying about money talks.
                        "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• Tail wagging the dog

Comment

• UK Athletics and Cal need to get their mind right about this or we are going to be Indiana in 3 years or less. And if the administration doesn't get their act together, Football and all Stoops has built will come crashing back down to what we were in the early 90s.
                            Aspirational...

Originally posted by John Stuart Mill
                            He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that... He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
                            Originally posted by Charlie Munger
                            I never allow myself to hold an opinion on anything that I don't know the other side's argument better than they do

Comment

• Kyle Tucker points out that Kentucky's new state law prohibits guaranteed NIL deals.

A lot of gray area in that law though.

Comment

Kyle Tucker points out that Kentucky's new state law prohibits guaranteed NIL deals.

A lot of gray area in that law though.
                                Because of the gray area, I'm not sure that Cal cares about any state law.

He has worked the gray area for years.

He probably views NIL as another example of doing it his way or the highway, and I'm afraid he's going to play the proverbial "F around and find out" game on this one.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

The Official “Who’s On Our Team?” Thread (UPDATE: Oscar In, Shaedon Out)

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X