Tipton Retiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipton Retiring

Just read that Jerry Tipton is retiring at the end of June. Pretty awesome news in my opinion .

I actually felt sorry for Jerry in the last three or four years. It was clear he'd run out of steam.

The Kelenna Azubuike thing still sticks in my craw. It was just so bizarre and unnecessary. I don't know why he thought that was fair game, or why he thought anybody would be interested.

Comment

He truly was pitiful. The way he treated the Pattersons was pretty low, too. Good riddance to this guy

Comment

I never thought much about Jerry one way or the other. I did notice that several sportswriters are being highly complementary of him.
        "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Hot take: basketball programs like Kentucky's need a muckraker at the local paper. You've got to have a guy in there who'll ask hard questions and who isn't a fan.

I like Kyle Tucker and think he's awesome at his job. But you wouldn't want him heading up coverage of a UK scandal, necessarily. He's essentially working a fan beat.

If stuff ever went down the guy at the paper would need to be in there with a skeptical eye taking in the situation because these behemoth sports programs will lie their tails off to make themselves look better. We've seen that at UK as recently as Shame.

All that said, what Tipton chose to muckrake about was very odd.

I did like that he would get on Cal's nerves from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post
            I never thought much about Jerry one way or the other. I did notice that several sportswriters are being highly complementary of him.
            There isn't a bigger circlejerk than the sportswriter profession.

Good riddance to this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
              Hot take: basketball programs like Kentucky's need a muckraker at the local paper. You've got to have a guy in there who'll ask hard questions and who isn't a fan.

I like Kyle Tucker and think he's awesome at his job. But you wouldn't want him heading up coverage of a UK scandal, necessarily. He's essentially working a fan beat.

If stuff ever went down the guy at the paper would need to be in there with a skeptical eye taking in the situation because these behemoth sports programs will lie their tails off to make themselves look better. We've seen that at UK as recently as Shame.

All that said, what Tipton chose to muckrake about was very odd.

I did like that he would get on Cal's nerves from time to time.
              I don't disagree with any of this, although Kyle Tucker personally annoys me with his homerism and toeing the company line with Cal and the state of the program.

But Tipton went beyond simply muckraking and speaking truth to power to just blatantly taking potshots at the program for the sake of negativity. The last 2 decades, it was almost like Tipton was trolling the UK fanbase.

Comment

^ That’s the only method he had to earn attention…his “coverage” of Azubukie’s dad to implying everything about Patterson to hiding in the bushes next the lodge in order to photograph Rondo getting out of a vehicle to asking Teague who bought his shoes….he was nothing but garbage.

Comment

Good writer who wasn’t always good at his job.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                    I agree, it's very important. Asking pertinent questions at the right time can help a program understand that they aren't fully insulated from the world and that there are people unafraid to expose wrongful actions. It's necessary and UK needs it.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Tipton Retiring

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X