Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carleton University vs. Kentucky: Game Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

    It's hard to imagine a coach can hamper a team like this. But it happens often.
    Paul F at SEC network brings up some good stuff this morning. https://www.on3.com/college/kentucky...ball-football/
    Proverbs 25:24

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Pobilly View Post

      Paul F at SEC network brings up some good stuff this morning. https://www.on3.com/college/kentucky...ball-football/
      Eh. Finebaum isn't really correct about this.

      Calipari's making a specific statement about a specific project. In that very narrow lens, he's right. We ARE a basketball school. Kentucky IS one of the only places where you could get a state of the art basketball facility done. We DO have some incredibly deep pockets around the basketball program that almost no other program in America has.

      That's not a comment about football, and Finebaum (being a football guy) is trying to put it in the scope of football. Cal is talking about something that's very specific and very particular to UK, which is another reason he was dumb for bringing football into it.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
        That's not a comment about football, and Finebaum (being a football guy) is trying to put it in the scope of football. Cal is talking about something that's very specific and very particular to UK, which is another reason he was dumb for bringing football into it.
        Cal might very well try to play it off as that, publicly especially, but come on.

        This is jockeying for position in the athletic department, even if it was simply trying to "cut line" in terms of getting a project started now, but you better believe it's bigger than that. He tried to pull rank in the department in a time when these coaches of these two sports are getting huge, incentive based and laden contracts, and I assure there's far more to it than getting his pet project on campus.

        He might desire to have a "House That Cal Built", but he was after far more than that. There's a ton of money and potential money/power involved.

        Same for Stoops...he took it personal and he's taking up for the program, but he also probably doesn't appreciate efforts that undermine his ability to put W's on the board. That means money both now with his contract and later with renewals, as well as possible career trajectory implications.

        Finebaum is making a point that the days of a college basketball coach having the most control are over and that Cal hasn't performed highly enough to continue to expect to have that much control, anyway.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by matt colvin View Post


          This is jockeying for position in the athletic department, even if it was simply trying to "cut line" in terms of getting a project started now, but you better believe it's bigger than that.
          Probably a little of both.

          But the practice facility is a big thing in his mind for whatever reason. He was talking about it way back in the spring.

          Cal was definitely in "it's our turn" mode given what UK football has gotten under Stoops recently. But again, you don't even need to invoke football if you're Cal to jockey for position. Not with as massive as UK basketball is. Kentucky basketball has its own gravitational pull and everybody knows that.

          Comment


          • #50
            This whole thing is stupid. It's beneath both coaches to comment further. The media will keep trying to push it. That's what they do.

            Comment

             

            A Word From Our Founder

            With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

            Carleton University vs. Kentucky: Game Thread

            Collapse
            Working...
            X