Best Player From Your School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Player From Your School

Who's the best player from your middle or high school? I went to Seneca in Louisville and the obvious answer is Wes Unseld. We had a few guys while I was there play lower level ball, but no one D1 in decades that I know of.

In football the best I can argue would be Gary Williams. He was there in the early 2000s (I think graduated 2003 or 04) and went on to play at UK. He played for the Panthers in the NFL for a handful of years.

Southern so the answers are easy lol. Phil Simms for football and Lisa Harrison for basketball.

Comment

I attended Corbin High School. The best bb player, in my opinion, was Frank Selvy. Frank is the only player to ever score 100 points in a D1 game, and this was before the advent of the three point shot. The best fb player is probably a three way tie between the Bird brothers (Calvin, Billy and Rodger).
      "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Originally posted by uglyduckling View Post
        Southern so the answers are easy lol. Phil Simms for football and Lisa Harrison for basketball.
        You beat me to it duckling, I was about to say the same thing.

Comment

When did you go to Southern? My wife graduated from there in the '90s.

Comment

I went to McCreary Central High School so it's Tim Stephens.

Honorable mention to a kid named Aaron Watts, who was an unbelievable player about 10 years ago. I think Penn State (and maybe Florida) were interested in him. Don't know what he did after high school but he's still around the community.

An interesting story we always heard was that Reggie Hanson lived in McCreary County for a time. His dad worked for the local Job Corps. But because of racism (I suspect there was more to this story) he and his brother went to school at Pulaski County and won a state championship there.

Comment

Since tc15 did say go back as far as middle school I can throw in my claim on Phil Simms as well. He was born here and went to St. Dominics where my kids went before moving to Louisville.

Also Shipwreck Kelly in football, Paul Derringer in baseball and Kevin Ellery in basketball (3rd place for Mr. Basketball to Pelphrey and Feldhaus and went to ND

Interestingly—to me at least, maybe not to anyone not from my small town—Shipwreck’s Full name was John Simms Kelly. He was some relation to Phil Simms. I’ve never heard just how related.

Derringer is in the Cincinnati Reds hall of fame
              Last edited by Catsrock; 08-25-2022, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

When did you go to Southern? My wife graduated from there in the '90s.
                Graduated in 2007 lol. My mom graduated from there in 88.

Comment

I graduated from a small school in Hopkins County, Hanson High. Our best was Wayne Oakley. He still has the State record for the most points scored in a High School game. He scored 114 pts in a home game against St Agnes. He went to Kentucky Wesleyan and was a State Trooper.
                  John 3:3

Comment

Graduated in 2007 lol. My mom graduated from there in 88.
                    Graduated from SHS in 66; taught there from 72-83. Man am I old!

Comment

Originally posted by Catgrad7072 View Post

This is a longshot but did you know a teacher named Sarah Daniel? I may have the spelling of that wrong. It may have been Sara Daniel, but I'm almost positive her last name didn't have an s on it.

She taught English and was there in the mid '90s when my wife graduated. But I don't know how old she was at the time or how long she'd been at Southern.

She was a major influence on my wife's life and I have thought about tracking her down so my wife can talk to her. But I can't find that name in any search I've done. It's possible that she passed away.

Comment

BTW, speaking of Lisa Harrison, her dad Coby, Cory? was a player for the KY Bourbons softball team. Lighthouse probably remembers him better than I.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

This is a longshot but did you know a teacher named Sarah Daniel? I may have the spelling of that wrong. It may have been Sara Daniel, but I'm almost positive her last name didn't have an s on it.

She taught English and was there in the mid '90s when my wife graduated. But I don't know how old she was at the time or how long she'd been at Southern.

She was a major influence on my wife's life and I have thought about tracking her down so my wife can talk to her. But I can't find that name in any search I've done. It's possible that she passed away.
                          I remember Sarah; we both taught English (think you are right about her name). Didn't really know her well, but she seemed like both a good teacher and a good person. If you haven't tried calling the school, they may help you out. Otherwise, try contacting Linda Duncan-currently a school board member who also taught English with us.

Haven't heard that she passed, hope you can track her down

Comment

Originally posted by Catgrad7072 View Post

If you taught there those years, it's possible you know some of my aunts and uncles. They all went there around those years. Did you teach any Hesters lol?

Comment

If you taught there those years, it's possible you know some of my aunts and uncles. They all went there around those years. Did you teach any Hesters lol?
                              Ronnie Hester comes to mind; think he was one of my students but can't remember. Teachers, BTW, only remember two types of students-really great ones or the ones who were major pains. Since I can't remember, he probably fell in the middle somewhere. As Martha Stewart used to say, 'that's a good thing'.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Best Player From Your School

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X