Best Player From Your School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catgrad7072 View Post

Ronnie Hester comes to mind; think he was one of my students but can't remember. Teachers, BTW, only remember two types of students-really great ones or the ones who were major pains. Since I can't remember, he probably fell in the middle somewhere. As Martha Stewart used to say, 'that's a good thing'.
    Wellll lol....my aunt and mom would have been two that fell in the middle. You are probably remembering my uncle Rodney. From what I've heard, him and my uncles Scott and Daryl were in the major pain group lol.

In 1st grade, my mom was in class on the first day of school and the teacher was doing roll call. She got to my mom and asked if she was kin to the Hester boys. When my mom told her yes, the teacher just dipped her head down and said "Not another one" lol.

Comment

Graduated from SHS in 66; taught there from 72-83. Man am I old!
      Did you know any of the McKnight family? I believe 12 of them went there, most in that time frame.

Comment

[QUOTE=teamchemistry15;n294255]

Did you know any of the McKnight family? I believe 12 of them went there, most in that time frame. [/QUOTE

McKnight also sounds familiar (maybe because they were part of a big family-which Okolona had a lot of back then) but no specific students come to mind. Just guessing, I'd say they may have been in some of my early classes (72-76 for example).

Dang, WCN is killing me today; I normally don't have to think so hard. May have to call a 'lid' for today and start happy hour early ..........

Comment

[QUOTE=Catgrad7072;n294259]
          Originally posted by teamchemistry15 View Post

Did you know any of the McKnight family? I believe 12 of them went there, most in that time frame. [/QUOTE

McKnight also sounds familiar (maybe because they were part of a big family-which Okolona had a lot of back then) but no specific students come to mind. Just guessing, I'd say they may have been in some of my early classes (72-76 for example).

Dang, WCN is killing me today; I normally don't have to think so hard. May have to call a 'lid' for today and start happy hour early ..........
          There's a bunch of them. My mother would've been at SHS in the early-mid 70s. I'll guess she graduated either 74 or 75. She's right in the middle of the 13 kids there were.

And, hey! It's five o'clock somewhere!

Comment

I remember Sarah; we both taught English (think you are right about her name). Didn't really know her well, but she seemed like both a good teacher and a good person. If you haven't tried calling the school, they may help you out. Otherwise, try contacting Linda Duncan-currently a school board member who also taught English with us.

Haven't heard that she passed, hope you can track her down
            Thanks for the information.

I didn't get very far with it because it was just a fleeting idea I had. But Sarah had an unbelievable impact on my wife. She went into Sarah's class not knowing what she wanted to do, came out of it wanting to be an English teacher--which she does to this day.

You also might have known Harris Hagerthy. He taught my wife chemistry at Southern. He was also our wedding photographer lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Thanks for the information.

I didn't get very far with it because it was just a fleeting idea I had. But Sarah had an unbelievable impact on my wife. She went into Sarah's class not knowing what she wanted to do, came out of it wanting to be an English teacher--which she does to this day.

You also might have known Harris Hagerthy. He taught my wife chemistry at Southern. He was also our wedding photographer lol.
              Wow. It would certainly make Sarah's day to hear of the impact she had on your wife.

Harris was probably after my time. I'd almost bet, however, he took over for Nancy Hamilton. Dr. Hamilton (school was built around her in '51) was SHS Chemistry even when I was a student and I think she was still at it when I left in '83. She probably went out feet-first and Harris got her job.

Comment

Duckling, do you have an aunt named Myrna? Her name just popped into my head.

Comment

Duckling, do you have an aunt named Myrna? Her name just popped into my head.
                  Think she's a cousin. Brother was Hoot Hester. I honestly haven't met a Hester that has roots in Louisville/Bullitt County and not been related to them. It's a HUGE family.

Comment

BTW, speaking of Lisa Harrison, her dad Coby, Cory? was a player for the KY Bourbons softball team. Lighthouse probably remembers him better than I.
                    His name is Cobbie Harrison and we played softball together with the Bourbons and Jiffy Club. When I officiated one of Lisa's games, he lit me up.
                    John 3:3

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

His name is Cobbie Harrison and we played softball together with the Bourbons and Jiffy Club. When I officiated one of Lisa's games, he lit me up.
                      Thanks LH. I forgot about Jiffy Club.
                      Wasn't Star Drywall another dominant club back in the day?

Oh, BTW I didn't play on any good SB team but used to go watch the Bourbons at the FOP lodge out on Price Lane (think I'm remembering correctly).
                      Last edited by Catgrad7072; 08-26-2022, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Graduated from Dixie Heights High School ( Northern KY - Kenton County) in 1975.
                        I don't know of any D1 basketball players but a couple of alum played in the NFL.
                        Larry Schreiber class of 1966 - TN Tech - San Fran 49ers, 4 seasons - Chicago Bears 1 season
                        Mark Pike class of 1982 - GA Tech - Buffalo Bills 13 seasons
                        God, Family, Kentucky Basketball

Comment

Thanks LH. I forgot about Jiffy Club.
                          Wasn't Star Drywall another dominant club back in the day?

Oh, BTW I didn't play on any good SB team but used to go watch the Bourbons at the FOP lodge out on Price Lane (think I'm remembering correctly).
                          Star Drywall was an Ok team. The Bourbons played all our home games at Bishop David Field.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post

Star Drywall was an Ok team. The Bourbons played all our home games at Bishop David Field.
                            Wasn't there a team called Bud's Boys? I don't recall much about them.
                            "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Elizabethtown high school - answer would have to be Antwain Barbour, especially his senior year. He just took over the state championship game. Had he skipped college and gone straight from the junior college he’d likely have played in the nba. He’s made some money overseas though.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Dillon View Post

Wasn't there a team called Bud's Boys? I don't recall much about them.
                                Seems like I remember the name, but I don't remember anything about them.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Best Player From Your School

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X