High School to NBA May be Returning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High School to NBA May be Returning

Per Shams Charnia, the new NBA collective bargaining agreement could have in it that high schoolers will be able to jump right from high school to the league. This would reportedly begin with the 2024 draft so our superclass coming in next year would appear to be safe.

I'm not sure why the NBA is so deadset on moving back to this model. It would seem that the year in college helped for pro evaluation and draft risk/reward, and helped star power fuel ratings for college.

Cal and Kentucky will adapt, but it's still kind of a bummer.

Comment

I noticed that Emoni Bates had been arrested this morning.

Weird to think that if players could go right from hs to the NBA, Bates might have been the Home overall pick last year.

Comment

Dang. If this had stayed in effect before, we might never have gotten to enjoy B. J. Boston for a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
          I noticed that Emoni Bates had been arrested this morning.

Weird to think that if players could go right from hs to the NBA, Bates might have been the Home overall pick last year.
          Why does this board switch pound sign/numeral one to the word “Home”?

Comment

Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

ISIS

Comment

Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

Owllycat.

Comment

I would rather see them make jump instead of taking a schollie.

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
                  I would rather see them make jump instead of taking a schollie.
                  Just looking at it selfishly for a second:

The one-and-done thing has done an enormous amount of good for Kentucky. Cal likely wouldn't have even come here without the rule being in place, and those magical seasons through the Cousins, Davis, Knight, Towns years were just as fun to me as any run I've seen in my lifetime.

But it's a doubled-edged sword as we all know. Giveth and taketh away. We have been burned too many times to count by that very same rule.

In the end I'm glad we had it. I think it dilutes the sport as a whole, but just selfishly I would've rather had somebody like Anthony Davis than not had him. To me it's a net positive. But I can see some merit in the side that says they wish the rule would've never been.

Comment

Will makes a great point. With hindsight, we can realize that Calipari recognized this rule and was the first major college coach to fully utilize it, and reaped the benefits. Time passed and many others adopted the same program, diluting the benefit.
                    I cant deny that I am one of those 'traditionalists' that wish the sport hadn't gone down this road. I also join in pointing out that John Calipari didnt create this rule, but he showed great insight in using it, and great success.

Like everything else, times change.

Comment

It's definitely a perversion of college sports. The point of college sports is to follow kids year to year in hopes they grow, get better, and then succeed and proceed after four years. Not necessarily when they graduate--it was always unfair to hold athletes up to the graduation standard when so many average Americans don't graduate in four years, or never graduate--but at least when they play four years. The way it was meant to be.

However in this day and age if you're holding out for that traditional system you're going to get left behind if you're a coach. It's been that way for almost twenty years now. So Cal in some ways was victimized by the very culture itself. However he had a major hand in creating that culture. He was one of the first to embrace one-and-dones and make them mainstream.

But here again is the double-edged sword thing. I think all of us are wanting Wagner and Bradshaw to come on next year, and if you look at that team we might have six one-and-dones. I think most everybody wants that...but we definitely don't want the fallout from that, which is going to entail (yet again) having to assemble a totally new team.

And it might be a new head coach who has to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                        It's definitely a perversion of college sports. The point of college sports is to follow kids year to year in hopes they grow, get better, and then succeed and proceed after four years. Not necessarily when they graduate--it was always unfair to hold athletes up to the graduation standard when so many average Americans don't graduate in four years, or never graduate--but at least when they play four years. The way it was meant to be.

However in this day and age if you're holding out for that traditional system you're going to get left behind if you're a coach. It's been that way for almost twenty years now. So Cal in some ways was victimized by the very culture itself. However he had a major hand in creating that culture. He was one of the first to embrace one-and-dones and make them mainstream.

But here again is the double-edged sword thing. I think all of us are wanting Wagner and Bradshaw to come on next year, and if you look at that team we might have six one-and-dones. I think most everybody wants that...but we definitely don't want the fallout from that, which is going to entail (yet again) having to assemble a totally new team.

And it might be a new head coach who has to do it.
                        But at least with free agency a good new coach could potentially do it quickly. Rather than over 4 or more years

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

High School to NBA May be Returning

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X