A thought on Calipari to Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thought on Calipari to Texas

It appears that the University of Texas is officially approaching John Calipari to take the Reigns.

I am almost sure that UK will not get into a bidding war. After a 'lifetime contract' I don't know what would be left to offer.

Although John C is currently under the gun, it would not be appropriate to omit the fact he has had Kentucky in multiple final fours, and won a national title.

Should he wish to continue coaching and building, this is a good move. (Although I expect him to do the same with his players as he did at Memphis).

Texas is not a 'basketball school'. There he would be able to free wheel much like Pearl at Auburn or Donovan at Florida. Who knows? He may be the guy that turns the Horns into annual contenders.

In short, if he is interested in going, blessings to him. Thanks for the memories John. Well...the good ones anyway.

I believe it's time for him to travel.

Yeah, he's not going anywhere.

I'm sure there have been conversations already, but I'd be shocked if he left his guaranteed payday.
    Last edited by KCKUKFan; 01-09-2023, 09:46 PM.

Comment

I would still be pretty surprised, but I’m less sure than I was this morning. Mostly I just don’t think UT will pay $11m to a 65 year old coach who hasn’t won an NCAA tournament game in 4 years.

Comment

From what I've seen Cal hasn't said he's not going basically said right now he's focusing on these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by 40bill View Post
          It appears that the University of Texas is officially approaching John Calipari to take the Reigns.

I am almost sure that UK will not get into a bidding war. After a 'lifetime contract' I don't know what would be left to offer.

Although John C is currently under the gun, it would not be appropriate to omit the fact he has had Kentucky in multiple final fours, and won a national title.

Should he wish to continue coaching and building, this is a good move. (Although I expect him to do the same with his players as he did at Memphis).

Texas is not a 'basketball school'. There he would be able to free wheel much like Pearl at Auburn or Donovan at Florida. Who knows? He may be the guy that turns the Horns into annual contenders.

In short, if he is interested in going, blessings to him. Thanks for the memories John. Well...the good ones anyway.

I believe it's time for him to travel.
          Well said, Bill, well said. A change might be just what the doctor ordered for him and the UK bb program as well.
          "There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves us all not to talk about the rest of us." Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

The odd thing about this current situation is that it's coming in the middle of a season.

I think Cal would leave at the right opportunity. The money thing and the "lifetime contract" to me is a nonstarter. Guy is rich beyond all imagination. He could be rich somewhere else. He'll get a multi-million dollar contract wherever he goes. That he's holding on at Kentucky for that payday is just...no. That isn't happening, IMO.

So it's either now or next year. He isn't staying past next season, there's just no way. So at some point he's stepping down.

However the thing about now is that it's January 10th. Would he agree to that job in principle and hold out at Kentucky? Would he agree in secret somehow (no way)? Would he wait until after the season and run the risk of Texas hiring somebody else?

Normally jobs come open in the offseason. This one happens to be open when he's mired in a problematic, drama-filled season. There's been a lot of talk about whether Cal is a "good guy" or not...who knows, really? But it does seem out of character for him just to take that job and leave this team in the lurch.

Comment

^^
              Keep in mind Tubby was a "good guy" who we learned had been negotiating a new contract with Minnesota in mid-January.

I suspect it's just the way these things go.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
                ^^
                Keep in mind Tubby was a "good guy" who we learned had been negotiating a new contract with Minnesota in mid-January.

I suspect it's just the way these things go.
                Seems pretty normal. I wouldn’t quit a job without having secured something else first.

Comment

Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

Seems pretty normal. I wouldn’t quit a job without having secured something else first.
                  Neither would I, though I don't have Calipari money.

Comment

Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

It's a good point, and I am guilty of having said the same thing about Tubby when people are defending him.

Comment

I'm utterly convinced Cal's people are talking to Texas right now. That's totally obvious.

I don't know how they could hire anybody and keep it under wraps. It's gonna get out. So whoever they take is going to have to deal with a weird end of the season. In college football when that happens the guy just leaves and lets his assistant coach the bowl game. Cal could maybe hand it over to Bruiser Flint but that would be...odd. I don't know if there's much precedent for that sort of thing because almost always these vacancies come open in the offseason.

Unless of course it's somebody like Jay Wright.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                        I'm utterly convinced Cal's people are talking to Texas right now. That's totally obvious.

I don't know how they could hire anybody and keep it under wraps. It's gonna get out. So whoever they take is going to have to deal with a weird end of the season. In college football when that happens the guy just leaves and lets his assistant coach the bowl game. Cal could maybe hand it over to Bruiser Flint but that would be...odd. I don't know if there's much precedent for that sort of thing because almost always these vacancies come open in the offseason.

Unless of course it's somebody like Jay Wright.
                        Or Donovan. Or Stephens. Or Chris Quinn.

Comment

I believe the main indicator will be if Texas names one of the current assistant coaches as interim coach. If that happens, Texas is waiting on someone to finish the season before announcing their choice. Could be Cal or someone else currently coaching. All conjecture at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by justford View Post
                            I believe the main indicator will be if Texas names one of the current assistant coaches as interim coach. If that happens, Texas is waiting on someone to finish the season before announcing their choice. Could be Cal or someone else currently coaching. All conjecture at this point.
                            Texas already named Rodney Terry as interim.

This doesn't matter in my mind because they're still going to be looking and dealing, because it'll be an arms race. They won't want to let it linger.

This makes Cal an intriguing choice because UK is such a dud of a team.

Comment

It would be interesting to play them as a conference foe here pretty soon

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

A thought on Calipari to Texas

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X