Class of 2019 - General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post
    Vernon Carey is a guy I want as bad as I wanted Randle. And frankly they can play similarly, although I think Carey is a little less skilled but a decent amount stronger. He and Wiseman would make a good team. He and any returnee big from this team would be AWESOME.
    It's obvious why Cal jumped in on Wiseman early. The upside is there, the versatility, the Anthony Davis-esque skillset. But Carey will likely be the best of the bunch. Physically he seems the most ready of any of the big men to be a superstar.

From all accounts Wiseman has a lot of work to do on his body over the next 12 months.

Comment

Back from the Peach Jam.

Not much to report unfortunately on the UK front. All our targets were out by the semifinals, but the games themselves were still pretty exciting.

The most interesting drama was my friend and I trying to get into the event. We showed up at 4:00 or so on Saturday. The doors were SUPPOSED TO OPEN at 5:30. We thought we'd made great time; we walked around the park grounds around the event center and killed some time. Then we returned at about 5:00 to get in line, and that's when all hell broke loose.

The way EYBL security handled people trying to get into the event was...interesting. It almost incited a riot, in fact, and it was sort of a what-not-to-do in terms of how to handle crowds. At one point a police officer came out and screamed at a (mostly black) crowd, and I thought we might have a riot situation. Meanwhile people had to stand out in 95+ heat and wait...only to be told that they probably weren't going to let anybody in. They would let wristband wearers in--family members, VIP's, etc.--but for those of us waiting to just buy a ticket, the situation was up in the air until after 7:00. The first semifinal game had already begun.

Finally, after an absurd moment where the guy asked, "Who wants to go in?," to which the crowd surged forward and multiple bouncer-looking security guards shouted people down (at one point one of them made the ridiculous comment, "We don't need your money," which I thought was a pitch perfect indictment of Nike), we were able to get in not long after the semifinal began.

The games themselves were very fun to watch. The level of play was obviously extraordinary, though the teams that advanced to the semifinals didn't have the breakout stars for the most part. They were just well-coached teams (the MOKAN Elite team in particular ran great stuff) who had probably played together for the longest time.

Team Takeover won the tournament for the second year in a row, but I was really impressed with Team Whynot, who had just formed this year. They were super-scrappy, played incredibly hard, and I loved their grit. The best individual player I saw might have been Jeremy Roach from Takeover. Also thought Armando Bacot, a 6'10" forward with great hands, was very interesting. Team Whynot has a guard named Cassius Stanley who is just tremendous; plays like his whole body is on fire 100% of the time.

I think next year we might try to hit the EYBL event in Indy. We were told by multiple people that it was better-run, easier to get into, and there was much more space. The Peach Jam was sort of built around VIP's. The fan experience was pretty secondary. I assume they want to let the coaches get a good look at the players, and they also like the fact that NBA players return. (Kevin Durant was there, and popping his head out from behind an honest-to-God wooden door while we were in the scuffle with the bouncer was Drew Gooden. He went right in, to which someone in line quipped, "You let Drew Gooden in and NOT ME?") Jay Wright was there with his staff, and Tom Crean was there looking as weird as ever. Saw Roy Williams making the rounds (no Coca-Colar in sight), Mike Anderson and Scotty Thurman, much of Oklahoma's staff, and a bunch of other coaches that are household names.

All in all it was a very fun trip, but I'm still kind of stunned by how security handled the waiting crowd.

Last edited by Will Lavender; 07-16-2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Kentucky has finally made contact with Dontaie Allen.

He will visit on August 1st, just before the team leaves for the Bahamas.

Comment

Sounds like a good chance that Kahlil Whitney is the next to commit. Cal has really been making him a priority lately.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/kentucky-...it-uk-end-near

Comment

D.J. Jeffries is reopening his recruitment.

Very disappointing news and suggests that Penny Hardaway is playing a man's game in Memphis.

Comment

First decommit for Cal at UK I believe.

Not good news...betting he ends up with Penny at Memphis (along with Wiseman).

Comment

Originally posted by catfaninin View Post
                Sounds like a good chance that Kahlil Whitney is the next to commit. Cal has really been making him a priority lately.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/kentucky-...it-uk-end-near
                They probably had an indication that the Jeffries decommit was coming and put the press on Whitney.

I've never been able to see Wiseman and Carey playing together, so if Wiseman does go to Memphis you hope we didn't get in too late on Carey. I love Carey as a college player, but he doesn't have anywhere near the upside Wiseman has.

If you lose both I'm not sure if there's another game-changer out there at that position.

Comment

DJ Jeffries' father @CoreyJeffries10 on our show: "We talked with Kentucky (about the decision to de-commit), and it kinda shocked me. They were kinda unprofessional. They didn't handle the news the way I expected them to handle it, being professionals."

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                    Kentucky has SG Kira Lewis in on a visit this weekend.

Lewis is ranked #81 in the class by Rivals. Four-star player but he's been rising recently.

Wouldn't be surprised if we don't come out of the weekend with a commit from him.
                    Kira Lewis and Kentucky really cooled after this visit in early June.

Lewis announced his list today and UK wasn't on it.

Comment

If Wiseman waits until spring I would say UK has a good chance. If he wants to go to Memphis, then I think he’ll commit once he reaches that decision out of respect for Penny. I don’t think he would drag out and then commit to Memphis

If Richards improves and returns, Carey makes the most sense by far to fit in here. Carey is who I want most to go with an otherwise impressive haul, Wiseman would just be an obnoxious luxury with the rest of that class

Comment

I worry about Carey only because we coveted Wiseman for so long.

In these situations if a player thinks you wanted the other guy more, even if he plays the game with you in the end he usually decides on another school.

Maybe UK was in tighter with Carey the whole time and it just didn't come out. But Wiseman was THE guy. Everybody and his mother knew that. You'd have to think that would play into Carey's thinking as he draws closer to his decision.

Comment

Sure. He also seemed to have shared that sentiment prior to Hardaway joining the coaching ranks.

Not quite MKG level of a lock, but it was a tight bond. Just need Memphis to tank this year

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post
                            Sure. He also seemed to have shared that sentiment prior to Hardaway joining the coaching ranks.

Not quite MKG level of a lock, but it was a tight bond. Just need Memphis to tank this year
                            I just want to see Memphis fall flat on their face. For me, it's not even about Hardaway or Jeffries or Wiseman. I have always thought that they think they are better than they actually are, sort of like West Virginia. I have never liked them.
                            Isaiah 5:20

Comment

I don't know. I always liked Penny. I had his shoes in high school. Best b'ball shoes I ever wore.

I think Memphis, like Louisville, like probably a lot of urban schools, cuts corners because they're "hidden." Small conference, tucked away inside their state, FedEx money...a lot of shenanigans. Let's not kid ourselves: they went on with Cal. I think these urban schools like to play in the gray area a lot.

The big boys just do it out in the open a lot of times.

Comment

D.J. Jeffries' dad with some more stuff. Says the unprofessionalism was really from Tony Barbee, and that they were peeved about Kentucky not sending anyone to Jeffries' final game of the summer. Also seems to like the fact that Memphis is winning recruiting battles against Kentucky, so in the end this seems to come back to Penny.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/...-split-he-mad/

Comment

Class of 2019 - General Discussion

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X