Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 Fly
    replied
    This CalHi Sports article came out a few weeks ago, but CONGRATS TO BJ: SoCal Player of the year & State of CA Mr. Basketball

https://www.calhisports.com/2020/04/...ornia-dreamin/

Leave a comment:

• 85 Fly
    replied
    This elite GLeague should be interesting. Green is going to be on this "new team" that will be based out of SoCal along with Isaiah Todd (that just decomitted from Michigan). How many of these "elite teams" will there be? And I hear they play less games than the typical "GLeague" and also are paid more money than them!
    The pantry is bare and we need frontcourt!

Leave a comment:

• Catsrock
    replied
    Jalen Green is going G-league route. Puts a wrap on the 2020 top 10 all but Greg Brown. The latest rivals ranking bumped Boston all the way up to 4th.

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied
    Article about how the new G-League structure will work.

Looks like they're not worried about eyeballs on the product. They're using the new system as a training ground for elite prospects, and it definitely indicates in this article that they're worried more about foreign leagues than college basketball.

I still don't know how this is financially sustainable outside of just a small handful of players per year, if that. The way sports becomes lucrative is if there's public interest. What kind of public interest exists for the NBA to train individual players like this and pay them half a million dollars for one year?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...league-pathway

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied
    ^ That said, who the G-League is probably competing with right now are the overseas leagues, not college basketball. Because the new collective bargaining agreement is probably going to change the age rule and allow straight-from-high-school players to go right to the NBA...or the G-League. So when that happens there will be a choice from these marquee players: either take that G-League deal or go play overseas.

It's likely that what Rod Strickland and the G-League people are doing are trying to claim the block for when that happens.

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied
    The G-League is going to get one today it looks like in Jalen Green.

And (assuming there's a G-League season) no one will watch Jalen Green in the G-League next year.

Leave a comment:

• J.Jennings
    replied
    Originally posted by teamchemistry15 View Post
    Clarke put on Twitter he'll be at UK next year and that his "loyalty never changed." I've seen elsewhere that a Haarms commitment could happen as soon as Friday, that we could add Obi Toppin's little brother as a transfer from Rhode Island, and that the staff is working extremely hard trying to get Kuminga, and our chances are increasing. Also still in the mix is a reclass from Banchero but that doesn't seem as likely.
    Some great news, glad he wants to play a year of college ball for Kentucky. Should not be a surprise but still hard to believe we have lost 6 players including Sestina this offseason.

Leave a comment:

• teamchemistry15
    replied
    Clarke put on Twitter he'll be at UK next year and that his "loyalty never changed." I've seen elsewhere that a Haarms commitment could happen as soon as Friday, that we could add Obi Toppin's little brother as a transfer from Rhode Island, and that the staff is working extremely hard trying to get Kuminga, and our chances are increasing. Also still in the mix is a reclass from Banchero but that doesn't seem as likely.

Leave a comment:

• J.Jennings
    replied
    Keep this in mind, Calipari has floated around the idea for years of creating a power conference or in some ways getting away from the NCAA and all it's stupid rules and stipulations, who is to say the G League business model isn't the new way or creating this new type of league? Also how ironic that Rod Strickland is the one pushing T. Clarke to come to the G league. Cal is in a catch 22 on this, he promotes players getting paid but now he has to face his worse nightmare and fight a entirely new enemy. Wishful thinking i just want basketball to go back to the 90's and before all this one and done crap. These kids these days want it all now, they don't want to wait...

Leave a comment:

• J.Jennings
    replied
    Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I've heard "the NBA is starting to promote the G-league" for the last seven years. It's still struggling as to how to get eyeballs on it.

Ever watched one of those games? Know anybody who has? I did, once. It was awful.

Are we going to tune in to see raw 18-year-olds play against grown men? Phenoms, sure, but how many phenoms are there in a recruiting class? Sometimes there's just one, mosttimes there aren't any.

If you've signed with, say, Rutgers and they come after you, then sure. You go. If you signed with a blueblood it's a bad decision.

That league would absolutely murder most of these high school kids. It's way beyond their maturity level.
    If the NCAA wants to keep it's brand at a high level, it needs to counter with good financial options for players including etc...

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied
    Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post

125k a year disagrees with you, no restrictions on endorsements shoe deals etc. Also if you do your homework you would know the NBA is starting to promote and invest in the G League with more television exposure and marketing, it's the future of the NBA and if a player who wants to play in the NBA can't survive in the G league, why draft him and give him a guaranteed NBA contract worth millions.
    I've heard "the NBA is starting to promote the G-league" for the last seven years. It's still struggling as to how to get eyeballs on it.

Ever watched one of those games? Know anybody who has? I did, once. It was awful.

Are we going to tune in to see raw 18-year-olds play against grown men? Phenoms, sure, but how many phenoms are there in a recruiting class? Sometimes there's just one, mosttimes there aren't any.

If you've signed with, say, Rutgers and they come after you, then sure. You go. If you signed with a blueblood it's a bad decision.

That league would absolutely murder most of these high school kids. It's way beyond their maturity level.

Leave a comment:

• J.Jennings
    replied
    Beginning with the 2019-20 season, the G League introduced Select Contracts that would allow elite prospects who are at least 18-years-old to earn $125,000 for a five-month season, but according to KSR's report, that number could be closer to $500,000 including endorsements.

Leave a comment:

• J.Jennings
    replied
    Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I don't agree with this.

The platform of the G-League is LOW. Ever heard of anybody watching a G-League game? It's very hard for players to showcase their games when nobody watches. And if you're 18 years old you're liable to get destroyed in that league.

Let's be honest with ourselves: playing in college isn't playing for "free." If people don't know that yet they need to pay attention. Also, when you think of showcasing yourself, there's nothing like college. Ask guys like Zion and Davis and Trae Young and Kevin Durant about that. You are THE story in all of basketball if you're a great player in college.

And it's easier to be great in college. You're playing against a different caliber of player. G-League guys are grown men playing in front of empty arenas with no eyeballs on them. Bad deal for these players even with those big contracts.
    125k a year disagrees with you, no restrictions on endorsements shoe deals etc. Also if you do your homework you would know the NBA is starting to promote and invest in the G League with more television exposure and marketing, it's the future of the NBA and if a player who wants to play in the NBA can't survive in the G league, why draft him and give him a guaranteed NBA contract worth millions.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight Schrute
    replied
    To be honest I don’t know where I would watch a G league game if I wanted to.

High major college basketball is on 6 days a week. The NBA is on a few nights a week. God as my witness I don’t know where or why I would watch a G league game.

Leave a comment:

• Will Lavender
    replied
    Originally posted by J.Jennings View Post
    G league led by Shareef Abdur Rahim and Jaylen Brown about to change the landscape of college basketball forever. This is the wave of the future and college teams will be lucky to ever see great players like AD, ZION, etc. ever step foot on a college court again. I know Cal loves Kentucky but i just can't see him sticking around to coach mediocre players the rest of his career, he wants to coach the best and the G League 125k minimum is going to make it very tough especially if a players doesn't have to deal with college classes rules and all that, why would you go to college and play for free?
    I don't agree with this.

The platform of the G-League is LOW. Ever heard of anybody watching a G-League game? It's very hard for players to showcase their games when nobody watches. And if you're 18 years old you're liable to get destroyed in that league.

Let's be honest with ourselves: playing in college isn't playing for "free." If people don't know that yet they need to pay attention. Also, when you think of showcasing yourself, there's nothing like college. Ask guys like Zion and Davis and Trae Young and Kevin Durant about that. You are THE story in all of basketball if you're a great player in college.

And it's easier to be great in college. You're playing against a different caliber of player. G-League guys are grown men playing in front of empty arenas with no eyeballs on them. Bad deal for these players even with those big contracts.

Leave a comment:

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Class of 2020 - General Discussion

Collapse
Working...
X