Class of 2023 - General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Will, Matt Colvin and me could coach this team.
    Let's hope Calipari doesn't feel that way...they're going to be incredibly young. A couple of key transfers and returning Kingsley will be extremely important.

I hope I don't sound like Debbie Downer over here, because it's nice to return to recruiting the best of the best.

Comment

• Cal lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	106
Size:	631.4 KB
ID:	299607

Comment

• Originally posted by matt colvin View Post

Let's hope Calipari doesn't feel that way...they're going to be incredibly young. A couple of key transfers and returning Kingsley will be extremely important.
        I'm not sure how the transfer market will work out. I imagine older guys will very hesitant about coming into this. The conventional wisdom will be that he'll play all those freshmen as much as he can and the idea of "veteran" will be toxic to the brand.

Best-case scenario is probably that we're able to return guys like Livington, Thiero, and of course Ugo. Livingston and Ugo look like they're the types who could make big sophomore jumps.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I'm not sure how the transfer market will work out. I imagine older guys will very hesitant about coming into this. The conventional wisdom will be that he'll play all those freshmen as much as he can and the idea of "veteran" will be toxic to the brand.

Best-case scenario is probably that we're able to return guys like Livington, Thiero, and of course Ugo. Livingston and Ugo look like they're the types who could make big sophomore jumps.
          I’ll believe Livingston returns when I see it. He’s had his sights set on the draft since day one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

I’ll believe Livingston returns when I see it. He’s had his sights set on the draft since day one.
            And he’s Calipari’s highest rated recruit in a class. Those don’t come back no matter what their season looks like.

Comment

• I think Livingston might get washed under a little bit on this team. He looks super raw as a basketball player which doesn't matter to the pros sometimes, but it does matter when you're trying to crack a college rotation on a good team with other guys vying for NBA notoriety.

I do love how hard he plays but he comes off like one of these big-bodied kids who's behind basketball-wise because he's been used to just bullying through people. I haven't seen anything yet, even in his intangibles, that suggests a pro. A lot of times that doesn't matter with Cal's guys but we have had some crucial returners who kind of reminded me a little of Livingston.

One other thing about him though is that he might have a knack for hitting that open corner three. He hit a few in the Bahamas and he's hit a couple already this season. If he can do that with regularity he'll draw interest. But I'm not sure how much he can even play on this particular team.

Comment

I think Livingston might get washed under a little bit on this team. He looks super raw as a basketball player which doesn't matter to the pros sometimes, but it does matter when you're trying to crack a college rotation on a good team with other guys vying for NBA notoriety.

I do love how hard he plays but he comes off like one of these big-bodied kids who's behind basketball-wise because he's been used to just bullying through people. I haven't seen anything yet, even in his intangibles, that suggests a pro. A lot of times that doesn't matter with Cal's guys but we have had some crucial returners who kind of reminded me a little of Livingston.

One other thing about him though is that he might have a knack for hitting that open corner three. He hit a few in the Bahamas and he's hit a couple already this season. If he can do that with regularity he'll draw interest. But I'm not sure how much he can even play on this particular team.
                Two things make me think he’ll have a chance at OAD:

1. That three you mentioned;
                2. His ability to move through traffic.

Yes, he feasted in HS thanks to his body, but he also has some of that LeBron/MKG ability to move his shoulders through a crowd without breaking stride.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

2. His ability to move through traffic.
                  Can't dribble.

He's big and physical though and that counts for a lot. Not afraid to just try and bowl through people MKG-style.

It's impossible to give NBA prognostications now of course. Hell I wouldn't give them on April 1. You just don't know. He's a funny player though. Very hard to read. Usually as you say it comes back to what the player wanted when he signed up. One thing fans probably miss or don't take into account enough when talking about OAD is what the dynamic was when that player first signed on. I'm convinced at Kentucky almost all the players who went after one year told Calipari right up front they were going after one year.

Comment

Can't dribble.

He's big and physical though and that counts for a lot. Not afraid to just try and bowl through people MKG-style.

It's impossible to give NBA prognostications now of course. Hell I wouldn't give them on April 1. You just don't know. He's a funny player though. Very hard to read. Usually as you say it comes back to what the player wanted when he signed up. One thing fans probably miss or don't take into account enough when talking about OAD is what the dynamic was when that player first signed on. I'm convinced at Kentucky almost all the players who went after one year told Calipari right up front they were going after one year.
                    Not saying you’re wrong here. But what top 10-15 recruit has come to UK during Calipari’s tenure NOT planning to be one and done? By reports MKG wasn’t interested in staying and by reports was not allowed to (I know—you don’t believe this). Others have stuck around because scouts said they weren’t getting drafted (Poythress). Virtually all of them came here expecting Cal to get them into the league immediately—some without even playing while here (Kanter/Diallo/Sharpe). But if they were ranked top 15 upon committing to Cal they were disappointed if they were not in the draft the next summer.

I probably should have left MKG out of it because he is the rare exception who may or may not have wanted to enjoy college ball another year. The point I was arguing was the vast majority who came here for a quick stepping stone. I’m confident Livingston is in that boat. And ball handling is not his strong suit but he looked good preseason and has shot the ball well at 6’7.” So far he’s a starter and I expect him to remain so. I’ll bet he bolts in summer.
                    Last edited by Catsrock; 11-15-2022, 02:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Catsrock View Post
                      Not saying you’re wrong here. But what top 10-15 recruit has come to UK during Calipari’s tenure NOT planning to be one and done? By reports MKG wasn’t interested in staying and by reports was not allowed to (I know—you don’t believe this). Others have stuck around because scouts said they weren’t getting drafted (Poythress). Virtually all of them came here expecting Cal to get them into the league immediately—some without even playing while here (Kanter/Diallo/Sharpe). But if they were ranked top 15 upon committing to Cal they were disappointed if they were not in the draft the next summer.
                      Terrence Jones. Poythress. Harrison twins. Dakari Johnson. E.J. Montgomery and PJ Washington were close to the top 10 iirc.

Just off the top of my head.

I just don't think he "looks" like a pro. I'm not sure if he can play at that level even though his athleticism obviously is at that level. (This sometimes doesn't matter to the NBA as we all know.) But what I think most of all is simply that it's going to keep him from getting on the court a ton on this team.

That said, I think he fits this team well assuming Toppin is what we think he can be. If we have to lean on Livingston more than just as an energy guy I'm not sure if he's ready for that. Looks very raw to me but he play so hard he offsets some of that.

Comment

Cal lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	106
Size:	631.4 KB
ID:	299607
                        “Cal lol.”

You couldn’t have phrased it more accurately…..

Comment

• Originally posted by matt colvin View Post

I hope I don't sound like Debbie Downer over here, because it's nice to return to recruiting the best of the best.
                          I'm happy, but with you we need some transfers and a couple of vets to go along with young group.

On another note: Coach Ollie is a good fundamental coach so I think RD will be ok on that front.

Comment

• We haven't started 2024 recruit discussion, but just as a side note, I'm not pressed that we didn't land Captain Jack ( I. Jackson- 1/16/23 UNC commit); don't get me wrong it would've been nice, but it's ok. Currently the 2024 class is weak, but they have the rest of this season, all AAU season and next HS season to develop so lets see if any other cream will rise to the top (some at the top now may fall by then-it's fluid) outside of Ian, Tre Johnson, Bryson Tucker and Nassir Cunningham.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Class of 2023 - General Discussion

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X