Class of 2023 - General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post
    Further reason to be excited about Edwards: there’s talk that his Peach Jam performance has positioned him to take over the number one ranking in the class.
    Wow. I knew he was elite but didn't know how elite.

Cal looks to be ditching "positionless" and getting back into the thing he was doing in 2009, '10, etc. He's trying to land an elite player at every position.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Wow. I knew he was elite but didn't know how elite.

Cal looks to be ditching "positionless" and getting back into the thing he was doing in 2009, '10, etc. He's trying to land an elite player at every position.
      He’s pretty darn good. Best two-way player of the bunch.

However, it’s worth noting that this is a notably weak class. Not sure there’s a program changer even among the top five. But you take the best you can get and make it work, and Cal seems to be positioned to get who he wants this year.

Comment

I was under the impression that Dillingham and Wagner were both elite-elite guards regardless of class.

Also, from following recruiting I've noticed that the people who follow recruiting always say it's a weak class. That's been a refrain for nigh on 25 years I've been watching it.

I've always assumed the reason they say that isn't the Best of the Best; it's more that once you reach past the BOTB, there's a lot of sameness. The weird thing about high school basketball players is that relatively few of them are ready for prime time, but the very few there are are really ready.

If you looked at last year and counted the truly elite, you've obviously got Banchero, Holmgren, Jabari Smith, and...That's three players, which is probably about right for most every class.

In 2020 it was Cunningham, Jalen Green, Kuminga, Mobley, and Suggs. Five players.

In 2019 it was Wiseman, Edwards, Cole Anthony, and...Probably three or four players.

Point being, there are going to be 3-6 players in this class that are elite. The rest are gonna be same-y. I tend to think most classes are the same in terms of the elites. You do get some lower-ranked players at times who really separate themselves, and if you can hold on to those guys for at least another year that's how you win titles.

Comment

I was under the impression that Dillingham and Wagner were both elite-elite guards regardless of class.

Also, from following recruiting I've noticed that the people who follow recruiting always say it's a weak class. That's been a refrain for nigh on 25 years I've been watching it.

I've always assumed the reason they say that isn't the Best of the Best; it's more that once you reach past the BOTB, there's a lot of sameness. The weird thing about high school basketball players is that relatively few of them are ready for prime time, but the very few there are are really ready.

If you looked at last year and counted the truly elite, you've obviously got Banchero, Holmgren, Jabari Smith, and...That's three players, which is probably about right for most every class.

In 2020 it was Cunningham, Jalen Green, Kuminga, Mobley, and Suggs. Five players.

In 2019 it was Wiseman, Edwards, Cole Anthony, and...Probably three or four players.

Point being, there are going to be 3-6 players in this class that are elite. The rest are gonna be same-y. I tend to think most classes are the same in terms of the elites. You do get some lower-ranked players at times who really separate themselves, and if you can hold on to those guys for at least another year that's how you win titles.
          Not sure I agree with that. Scouts and recruiting guys hedge, for sure, but I don’t think they sandbag every class.

And as far as this class goes, I think the perceived weakness comes from the likelihood that none of the top guys are of the same caliber as the top guys you mentioned.

I’m sure some will be great, but as of this moment, no one looks like a sure fire pick.

Wagner, Edwards, and Dillingham are all nice players, though. I’ll be thrilled if we land them all.

Comment

Recruiting gurus tend to talk up individual players...but when pontificating on classes as a whole they usually round down. Just jogging back through my memory and maybe 2018 is the one class in recent years that you saw a consensus from the gatekeepers about being super good. (And, interestingly, if you look at 2018 it was about average once everything shook out.) 2021 with Holmgren and Banchero (and Bates at the beginning before he trailed off) also got some of this treatment, probably because Holmgren was such a freak.

Having said that, recruiting guys love to rave about individual players they see. I've seen several things just in recent weeks comparing Dillingham to some super great guards.

The class itself usually gets a meh if you look across the experts. Again, I have argued for a long time that these classes are almost always the same. You just don't have many players in a class who are going to stand out at high D1 basketball, and especially not in the G-League.

This is maybe an argument against the way Cal has always done things. If you're going to hit the lottery the way Cal runs his operation you almost need a super class every year. And, as we've seen, that's nigh impossible.

Comment

Andrew Slater just called it for Kentucky. Super rare when that doesn’t seal the deal.

Comment

Recruiting gurus tend to talk up individual players...but when pontificating on classes as a whole they usually round down. Just jogging back through my memory and maybe 2018 is the one class in recent years that you saw a consensus from the gatekeepers about being super good. (And, interestingly, if you look at 2018 it was about average once everything shook out.) 2021 with Holmgren and Banchero (and Bates at the beginning before he trailed off) also got some of this treatment, probably because Holmgren was such a freak.

Having said that, recruiting guys love to rave about individual players they see. I've seen several things just in recent weeks comparing Dillingham to some super great guards.

The class itself usually gets a meh if you look across the experts. Again, I have argued for a long time that these classes are almost always the same. You just don't have many players in a class who are going to stand out at high D1 basketball, and especially not in the G-League.

This is maybe an argument against the way Cal has always done things. If you're going to hit the lottery the way Cal runs his operation you almost need a super class every year. And, as we've seen, that's nigh impossible.
                I agree with most of what you’re saying, but the point is most seem to think this year’s standouts wouldn’t stand out as much in most other years.

Comment

The class definitely seems to have a real dearth of big men. Only two or three centers in the top 25.

Comment

Forgot something. Since Cunningham and Banchero came up, I read not too long ago that had Cade stuck with his commitment to UK, Banchero was going to reclassify and join him.

WOMP WOMP.

Comment

Justin Edwards is a Cat. Huge pick-up for Cal and sets the place for what could be his best class rankings-wise.

Proves one thing to me: St. Peters meant nothing to the class of 2023.

Comment

Also, Edwards' highlight videos are crazy. Wild skill level.

The videos are right up there from what we saw with Wall and Fox, imo. Looks almost absurdly polished.

Comment

Cal seems to have found his ruthless streak again. Love it.

Comment

Excellent news for a program that needed some positive MO . Welcome Mr. Edwards.

(Help us forget about Mr. Sharpe)

Comment

Justin Edwards is a Cat. Huge pick-up for Cal and sets the place for what could be his best class rankings-wise.

Proves one thing to me: St. Peters meant nothing to the class of 2023.
                              Not trying to start something on a momentous occasion, but the 2013 class would like a word.

Anyway, we just landed arguably the best player in the class, after landing another guy who’s arguably the best player in the class, and it sounds like we might land the other guy who’s arguably the best player in the class.

And we made Tennessee suffer mightily along the way.

Large evening for the Kentucky Wildcats.
                              Last edited by Downes Van Zandt; 07-25-2022, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Downes Van Zandt View Post

Not trying to start something on a momentous occasion, but the 2013 class would like a word.
                                Also 2009.

If he gets Wagner and Kingsley it's probably right there with those others. Will all depend on what kinds of players they actually are in college.

That '13 class was super interesting because on the eve of the SEC Tournament starting, they were kinda seen as a dud. Of course as we all know things changed in a big way.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Class of 2023 - General Discussion

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X