Class of 2023 - General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'13 easily beats this. Sorry.

But I appreciate what seems like getting back to the former set of expectations in this era. At this point it has been a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

Also 2009.

If he gets Wagner and Kingsley it's probably right there with those others. Will all depend on what kinds of players they actually are in college.

That '13 class was super interesting because on the eve of the SEC Tournament starting, they were kinda seen as a dud. Of course as we all know things changed in a big way.
      I’m just talking in terms of the recruiting services’ final tallies. I’m not sure the ‘13 class can be topped.

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post

But I appreciate what seems like getting back to the former set of expectations in this era. At this point it has been a while.
        Yeah, like I said, “weak” or not you take the best available, and Cal seems to have found his old ability to do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin View Post

I probably shouldn't have said "rankings-wise."

Just looking at them as actual players, Andrew Harrison wasn't a top 10 player when he actually played at Kentucky as a freshman. Turned out to be very good, probably better than his brother, but he was mis-ranked. He was pretty bad defensively through most of his freshman year, and that's being generous.

Aaron Harrison was borderline top ten. Very solid freshman. Regressed as a sophomore.

James Young was probably ranked right. Randle obviously was.

2009 was more on the mark in terms of getting the rankings right. 2011 was also pretty spot on (minus Austin Rivers) at the top minus Teague, who was good for Kentucky but more raw than top five players usually are.

As we all know at this point, the rankings are just part of the whole deal. We've had several here who have exceeded their ranking and several who have fallen below it. Some have been right on.

I think this class has a chance to be among his best. He hasn't gotten a player like Edwards in a very long time.

I think what may end up hurting this class when compared to '09, '11, '13, and maybe even '14 is that there probably isn't a game-changing big in there unless you consider Kingsley one defensively. I still hope we can move him to '22.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post

I probably shouldn't have said "rankings-wise."

Just looking at them as actual players, Andrew Harrison wasn't a top 10 player when he actually played at Kentucky as a freshman. Turned out to be very good, probably better than his brother, but he was mis-ranked. He was pretty bad defensively through most of his freshman year, and that's being generous.

Aaron Harrison was borderline top ten. Very solid freshman. Regressed as a sophomore.

James Young was probably ranked right. Randle obviously was.

2009 was more on the mark in terms of getting the rankings right. 2011 was also pretty spot on (minus Austin Rivers) at the top minus Teague, who was good for Kentucky but more raw than top five players usually are.

As we all know at this point, the rankings are just part of the whole deal. We've had several here who have exceeded their ranking and several who have fallen below it. Some have been right on.

I think this class has a chance to be among his best. He hasn't gotten a player like Edwards in a very long time.

I think what may end up hurting this class when compared to '09, '11, '13, and maybe even '14 is that there probably isn't a game-changing big in there unless you consider Kingsley one defensively. I still hope we can move him to '22.
            Kingsley already reclassified.

But yeah, we haven’t had a guy like Edwards since…MKG? Maybe Young, but he disappointed me quite a bit and I think Edwards is a lot better.

Comment

This is the kind of guy that Cal has always struggled landing, for whatever reason.

This class is shaping up to be an absolute monster.

Imagine if you will Oscar coming back for one more run with those guys.

Comment

I liked Young but James Young was a super weird player. Had this bizarre knack of showing up in big games. In not-so-big games he'd just float around. Seemed to turn it on when the lights turned on. I liked him but he's one of a slew of guys who you wish we would've gotten to see more of. If James Young would've come on the scene in 1987 he'd be one of those guys who was a UK great. Needed some time, as 90% of them do.

And I wasn't aware that Kingsley moved. That's good. I hope we can bring him in early though I don't expect him to play hardly at all for this team. Would be great for him to get in and practice against Oscar.

Comment

Kingsley is supposedly an elite shot blocker. Get him a year of seasoning against the NPOY, maybe return Collins (and Ware, of course), perhaps a transfer big, and I’ll feel pretty darn good about that team.
                  Last edited by Downes Van Zandt; 07-25-2022, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Pilgrim says Kingsley will announce one week from today.

I'm not sure if anybody else is seriously on him? Should be Kentucky's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                      Pilgrim says Kingsley will announce one week from today.

I'm not sure if anybody else is seriously on him? Should be Kentucky's.
                      Oklahoma is getting or already got a visit, but all signs point to it being more of a favor to someone than anything else. No reason to think he won’t be a Cat.

Comment

• Reed Sheppard's team plays against Bronny James and (I believe) Robert Dillingham tonight at 9:00 on ESPN.

In that game will also be a kid named Trent Noah. He's my best friend's daughter's boyfriend. He's a year behind Sheppard and Dillingham so I don't know if he'll play, but it's still a cool experience. The kid joined us at our lake house on Lake Cumberland for dinner just a few weeks ago.

Comment

• Excited for this one. Just the fact that Tennessee put so much time and effort into this kid, just for Cal to go old school Cal on them *chef's kiss*

Comment

• Reed is looking mighty good this evening against a whole squad full of blue chips.

Comment

• Originally posted by Will Lavender View Post
                              Reed Sheppard's team plays against Bronny James and (I believe) Robert Dillingham tonight at 9:00 on ESPN.

In that game will also be a kid named Trent Noah. He's my best friend's daughter's boyfriend. He's a year behind Sheppard and Dillingham so I don't know if he'll play, but it's still a cool experience. The kid joined us at our lake house on Lake Cumberland for dinner just a few weeks ago.
                              Was fun to watch. Reed makes a lot of good decisions. Hope that wasn’t Dilligham’s best effort.

Comment

• I was impressed with Reed’s quick hands on defense. Seems to be very composed for someone his age.

Comment

A Word From Our Founder

With the recent discussion of rules and what is and is not posted I set out to find what our mission statement originally was and this is what I found:...

Class of 2023 - General Discussion

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X