Arkansas' bowl game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arkansas' bowl game

Lighthouse, did you see the play in Arkansas' bowl game where Bielema argued so long with the officials? I may not get this right, but the sequence of events seemed to be as follows: Arkansas had the ball on 4th down and punted. Virginia Tech's returner attempted to catch the ball. It hit his hands and bounced out; I believe he never had possession of the football. An Arkansas player pounced on the ball, but did not manage to hold onto it. An official, apparently behind the Arkansas player and unable to see that he had not managed to hold onto the ball, blew the whistle. Subsequent to the whistle, a Tech player grabbed the ball. Complicating matters, on the punt, a flag was thrown against Tech for holding. The officials initially awarded possession to Tech. Bielema argued. They then awarded possession to Arkansas.

One of the TV guys insisted that Tech should have the ball because of a rule that says that if there's a fumble and the whistle blows, the team whose player manages to take possession of the ball after the whistle gets possession.

This site has a brief video clip and an explanation of what happened:

http://www.streakingthelawn.com/2016...-virginia-tech

It seemed to me like an unusual situation, but it also seemed that in the moment Bielema knew the rule book and its application to the situation better than the officials initially did.

Does "inadvertent whistle" mean only an accidental whistle, or also a whistle that was intentional but should not have been blown?

Originally posted by Old School View Post

Does "inadvertent whistle" mean only an accidental whistle, or also a whistle that was intentional but should not have been blown?
    Both would be considered inadvertent. As for the rest of this, I'll have to make a call and find out.
    John 3:3

Comment

To give an update, I called and he has to get the film and will call me back. I'll be back as soon as I hear.

Comment

Thanks,

How often, or infrequently, does a crew reverse a call after a coach argues it?

Comment

Originally posted by Old School View Post
          Thanks,

How often, or infrequently, does a crew reverse a call after a coach argues it?
          The coach's approach might have caused the officials to reconsider their initial decision and to huddle and talk about it, but it had nothing else to do with the reversal.

Comment

Arkansas' bowl game

Collapse
          Working...
          X